corner corner Region cleanup?

Forum | << Site Questions: Basic and Advanced | << Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image
I am one of two volunteers for Australia.

When I became a volunteer several years ago, I seem to remember that it was generally agreed amongst the volunteers that, individually, we would restrict our activities to the countries we lived in or countries that we knew extremely well. It's easy to make mistakes when you have little to no knowledge of local geography, landmarks, businesses or local customs. For that reason, I tend to limit my activities to Australia.

If I see a request for another country, I will leave it for a while to see if another volunteer with local knowledge picks it up. If it seems that nobody else is looking at it, I will try to help but only with very obvious things like duplicate cities. Even then, I will double check to make sure that, for example, there isn't actually two separate cities called Los Angeles in California!

It helps if there's something like a website to verify a business name, address etc for crossing zones. Of course, this double-checking means that it takes longer for an "out-of-towner" to update information that might seem glaringly obvious to a local.

And then there's the whole area of countries that use non-Roman alphabets. Greek, Russian and Asian languages are a real minefield for mono-linguists like myself!

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I posted on the Region Cleanup forum over a week ago and am not seeing any action there - is anyone doing this any more?
Profile Image
I don't know how many people have region-editing privs, or whether they're on vacation or snowed in and without internet {wry grin}, but it does seem that the last few requests haven't been dealt with. I took care of a few just now.
Profile Image
...sometimes I have to wait for several weeks.
Profile Image

I wonder

Can members volunteer to help with this? I only make requests concerning my 'pet' crossing zone but there is a lot more clean-up that could be done within Greater London - I keep finding duplicate zones.
Profile Image

RE: I wonder

Can members volunteer to help with this?

In principle yes, but we used to have a Region Manager coordinator and now we don't. So there is no one around to grant them the related privileges and show them the ropes.
Profile Image
Ah, okay. That's a shame. I'm a massive stickler for accuracy, so I love doing this kind of thing!
Profile Image
I am one of two volunteers for Australia.

When I became a volunteer several years ago, I seem to remember that it was generally agreed amongst the volunteers that, individually, we would restrict our activities to the countries we lived in or countries that we knew extremely well. It's easy to make mistakes when you have little to no knowledge of local geography, landmarks, businesses or local customs. For that reason, I tend to limit my activities to Australia.

If I see a request for another country, I will leave it for a while to see if another volunteer with local knowledge picks it up. If it seems that nobody else is looking at it, I will try to help but only with very obvious things like duplicate cities. Even then, I will double check to make sure that, for example, there isn't actually two separate cities called Los Angeles in California!

It helps if there's something like a website to verify a business name, address etc for crossing zones. Of course, this double-checking means that it takes longer for an "out-of-towner" to update information that might seem glaringly obvious to a local.

And then there's the whole area of countries that use non-Roman alphabets. Greek, Russian and Asian languages are a real minefield for mono-linguists like myself!
Profile Image
Yes, that's exactly what I do, too.

I mostly stick to my region, and occasionally take on merging of obviously duplicate zones per forum requests. When it comes to regions & languages & scripts I don't know, I prefer to leave those to somebody who knows what they are doing within the region.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.