corner corner 1001 library books etiquette...

Forum | << Site Questions: Basic and Advanced | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

1001 library books etiquette...

I was wondering what the rules, or at least the etiquette is in regard to 1001 library books?

I am not a member, as far as I know, but I did receive one book which I now see is registered as theirs. I was going to send it to Nepal, as part of ApoloniaX's initiative, but changed my mind when I saw it was a 1001 book.

Must I limit the future recipients to 1001 library members, or can I send it to anybody?And would Nepal be a no-no, as the book will remain a part of the orphanage's library permanently?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I was wondering what the rules, or at least the etiquette is in regard to 1001 library books?

I am not a member, as far as I know, but I did receive one book which I now see is registered as theirs. I was going to send it to Nepal, as part of ApoloniaX's initiative, but changed my mind when I saw it was a 1001 book.

Must I limit the future recipients to 1001 library members, or can I send it to anybody?And would Nepal be a no-no, as the book will remain a part of the orphanage's library permanently?
Profile Image
I'm thinking I could have contacted the 1001 library directly.
Sorry, my brain's a bit mushy from work and summer heat these days. ;)

If any admin wants to delete the thread, feel free.
Profile Image
I am a firm believer that once you have released a book you have no say in where it ends up unless it has been a bookring or something similar. That said, it does annoy me when a bookcrosser sells a book on eBay/Amazon etc on purpose. That goes against the grain of bookcrossing. The only exception to that is a book that has ended up in a charity shop or second hand book shop somehow. Bookcrossers that sell books ARE IN THE WRONG. Having said all that, I don't know how 1001 library members feel.
Profile Image
I am a firm believer that once you have released a book you have no say in where it ends up unless it has been a bookring or something similar.

Well, if you think about it, the 1001-library is really a collection of special bookrays.

Each book is donated to go on a bookray journey where the participants are not known in advance. Participants emerge one by one when they request a book from the previous reader. As with other bookrings and -rays, forwarding the book to 'just anybody' would not be in the spirit of the ray.

In short: the 1001-library is an on-tap list of hundreds of bookrays, each with a waiting list of 1. :)
Profile Image

Hi vedranaster

You're right, the idea is that books donated to the 1001-library should be forwarded only to 1001-library members. Also, 1001-library members understand that if they request and subsequently receive library books, they are under obligation to forward those books again to any library member asking for it in future: it can't stay with them indefinitely.

So, while nobody should get mad at you or hit you with a big stick if you decide to send the book to Nepal, it would be great if you could rather send a non-library book.

It's easy to join: all one has to do is donate one book on the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die list(s) to the library. For more information, have a look at the extended profile of the library:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/1001-library

To check if somebody is a library member, check if s/he is listed in the library's list of friends:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/1001-library

Many view the cost of shipping and the need to ship internationally as insurmountable stumbling blocks when it comes to joining the library. Although these are important factors, it is good to realise one has full control over how many books one will have to dispatch. I discussed that in more detail in this thread:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/8062605
Profile Image
Vedranaster has been contacted.
Profile Image
And to you, 1001 Library, for a quick response to my PM, and especially for releasing this now well read book to be sent to Nepal together with my other books. It's such a quirky read, it should be really fun for the kids. :)

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.