corner corner Is it possible to display all books (on my bookshelf) based on category?

Forum | << Site Questions: Basic and Advanced | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Is it possible to display all books (on my bookshelf) based on category?

My plan was to check my bookshelves for nonfiction books that I could include in a potential RABCK/sweeps parcel, and since I've finally registered every single book I own, I thought why not use the advanced book search and set it up to display every book in the "Nonfiction" category. But no matter what I do (putting nothing in the title field, asterisk in the title field, "a" in the title field, etc), I only get error messages. It would be awesome to be able to see a list of all my registered nonfiction books (or children's books, or whatever category). Is this possible at all?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
My plan was to check my bookshelves for nonfiction books that I could include in a potential RABCK/sweeps parcel, and since I've finally registered every single book I own, I thought why not use the advanced book search and set it up to display every book in the "Nonfiction" category. But no matter what I do (putting nothing in the title field, asterisk in the title field, "a" in the title field, etc), I only get error messages. It would be awesome to be able to see a list of all my registered nonfiction books (or children's books, or whatever category). Is this possible at all?
Profile Image
OK, this was interesting! I gave it a try on my own shelf and got the same result, an error message, which I assumed was a timeout message because I have so many books on my shelf. But I tried the search again using my screen name in the "member" field instead of the "my shelf" checkbox - and this time it worked beautifully! Tried it on your books and that worked too. No idea why there'd be a difference, but it might be a useful workaround.

That said, if I wanted to hunt up my nonfiction books-in-hand, I'd use the bookshelf-view to display my books-in-hand sorted by category. That option doesn't allow for a single category, but it does limit the search to books in my possession, and when the results are grouped by category it isn't that hard to find the appropriate range. [Since there are several categories for non-fiction books besides "nonfiction" - there's history, biography, science, and more - I'd want to take that into account.]

Another thing I play with when searching for challenge-specific books: I'll use the "print bookshelf" option on the search results so I have a single text-based page that I can search via the browser's "find on this page" feature. That won't help for categories, as those aren't displayed in the print-shelf screen, but it's very handy when hunting for release-challenge keywords!
Profile Image
...for trying all these options and for the detailled response. I wouldn't have thought of entering my username in the "member" field - guess that was a bit of a blind spot for me. Tried it and it works! Great to know! :D

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.