corner corner Slow loading time

Forum | << Site Questions: Basic and Advanced | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Slow loading time

Please prioritize fixing the slow loading time of your website. Sometimes it is almost at a standstill. :(

I'm never going to be able to get any new journal entries at all or newbies to join Bookcrossing if this snail's pace of loading time continues here on Bookcrossing's website.

Thank you so much!

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Please prioritize fixing the slow loading time of your website. Sometimes it is almost at a standstill. :(

I'm never going to be able to get any new journal entries at all or newbies to join Bookcrossing if this snail's pace of loading time continues here on Bookcrossing's website.

Thank you so much!
Profile Image
It's a known problem - though, for what it's worth, I'm seeing better response time today than I have in the last couple of days.
Profile Image
I'm seeing better response time today than I have in the last couple of days.

Yup! Me, too. :)
Profile Image
What about applying brand new nifty features on Monday morning rather than Friday night? When the new upgrade was put in, the problems became very apparent. Remember last week's book search being gone? and other small things? I appreciate that writing code is very precise and oddly reactive to reality. I learned when doing a massive update to a site to work on it all week, and then go home and rest before installing it on Monday. (or better yet on Tuesday after another day double checking). It seems to me there were some rushed fixes in the middle of last week to get things done before a long weekend. Code never reacts the way you think. The more complex layers, the more deliberateness is required. The site is great, complex, but it is a shame that it keeps breaking down on the weekends, just when people want to check out a book they just found on the street....
Profile Image
I completely agree. Until today it had been since the 23rd (Monday night) since any code went out. See my other post on what seems to be going on.

What about applying brand new nifty features on Monday morning rather than Friday night?

Profile Image

Ugh!

[I'm seeing better response time today than I have in the last couple of days.]

Gory, I'm not. The website came to a complete standstill for me twice earlier today.

Could someone from admin/support please advise us what's going on, and when to expect a fix. I have stopped referring people to Bookcrossing since this has been a problem. I don't want people to get put off by a website that's not working. It's hard *enough* to convince people to pop over here to check it out.

*sigh*

Profile Image

RE: Ugh!

Could someone from admin/support please advise us what's going on, and when to expect a fix.

Not really, I'm afraid.
When Matt and Ardik find out what exactly is causing the slowness, they'll probably work out how to fix it pretty quick. The trouble with this kind of problem is that there is no set time for fixing it; it all depends on what the problem actually is and how complicated it is to fix, and that's unpredictable.

I can, at least, tell you that they are very much aware of the problems and they are trying out different things to fix them.
Profile Image

RE: RE: Ugh!

BookCrossing has been attacked by bots in what seems to be causing somewhat of a DoS (Denial of Service attack). These bots are automated robots (in other words, computer programs, not people) that sign up for accounts and then spam membership on sites. Normally we get about 200-300 new members a day, some are spam, most are not. In the last 6 weeks it has grown to 600, then 1000, and lately 5000-6000 a day. I ran that report last night and then installed in a new Google captcha on the join page to stop the flow of new bogus members. That has worked, we have 178 members so far today. But the bots are still coming and hitting the signup page, so far about 40,000 times today. I've installed monitoring software to try to catch them by IP so we can block them. That's a long answer for: we are working on it, and trying to get the site back under control.
Profile Image
Thank you for the explanation. Good luck.
Profile Image
for the explanation and all the work you and your team are doing to fix this!
Profile Image
When Matt and Ardik find out what exactly is causing the slowness, they'll probably work out how to fix it pretty quick.

My suggestion for the future:
Please, admin (Matt and Ardik), post a message to us immediately when you know the site is down and how long you think you need to find the cause. It's very disheartening to come to this website, not be able to log in, and then to finally get in, not know what is going on, and have no idea how long to wait before referring others to this website.

I say this as a devoted BookCrosser who refers people to this website almost continuously through my OBCZ which is my Little Free Library. If I knew of a website problem and had a time line to know when to check back in, I'd know when to hold off on my referrals so that people won't get turned off to BC before they even give us a chance.

Thank you so much for your hard work in resolving this problem and trying to prevent this from happening in the future.

Bottom line: Simply give your BC members a "Heads Up".

Thanks!
Profile Image
Please, admin (Matt and Ardik), post a message to us immediately when you know the site is down and how long you think you need to find the cause.

The fact remains that this is often not possible, as I tried to explain before (but maybe I wasn't very clear). It's like your boss wanting to know how long you think you'll be sick, when you don't even know what you have yet.

Troubleshooting is a process that can take minutes, hours, or days. That's because there are so many different kinds of trouble.
Profile Image
but maybe I wasn't very clear

You were very clear. Matt understood what I was saying so all's well in Bookcrossing land. :)

Profile Image

Understood! Happy BookCrossing.
Profile Image

Thanks, Matt. Truly!
Profile Image

Indeed, a simple post on twitter or facebook will help a lot.
That said, fortunately I wasn't around much the last few days to experience any frustration, and I really want to thank Matt, Ardik and everybody involved for the hard work!!
Profile Image
Indeed, a simple post on twitter or facebook will help a lot.

I'd much prefer a simple post here. I don't go to twitter or facebook for BookCrossing info. I come to the BC forums.
Profile Image
I'd much prefer a simple post here. I don't go to twitter or facebook for BookCrossing info. I come to the BC forums.

That makes total sense to me, and it's actually something that Matt or Ardik could do. They have no control over BookCrossing's presence on Facebook or Twitter.

The Announcements forum is always the most up-to-date and direct source.
Nevertheless, Announcement posts and News posts are often reposted to Twitter and Facebook, and I can see why people who use those platforms find that helpful. It's not either/or.
Profile Image

Certainly, an explanation in the forums later on would be great. But if the website's down or you can't get access (such as happened to me about 10 hours ago), you can't get into the forums to check for an announcement.

I think it would be helpful to have an alternative place to go to check for a message, even if it's a simple "Yep, the website's down/slow and we're working on it".
Profile Image
Ardik and I just finished, site speed is back up now. We are brainstorming on long term fix to be able to stop these programmatically, but that will take some time. For now, it's working much faster!
Profile Image
Ardik and I just finished, site speed is back up now. We are brainstorming on long term fix to be able to stop these programmatically, but that will take some time. For now, it's working much faster!

hooray and bravo! :)

Profile Image
Ardik and I just finished, site speed is back up now

Working well for me, thank you!
Profile Image
Thank you so much for all your hard work!
Profile Image

Thank you Matt and Ardik ! It's so cooool to have a normal speed :o)
We love you very much for all the work you did those days for us.
Mariesg and the forum 17
Profile Image
For your hard work, and the explanations.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.