corner corner 13 digit ISBN vs. 10 digit - changes upon registration

Forum | << Site Questions: Basic and Advanced | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

13 digit ISBN vs. 10 digit - changes upon registration

Whenever I register a book with the 13 digit ISBN shown on the book cover, after lookup and registration the ISBN number is changed to its 10 digit form. It bugs me a bit, as the 13 digit version is newer and shows on my book, so I try and remember to copy-paste the original 13 digit ISBN. But out of curiosity, should I be doing this? And if I didn't what would happen? Any clues?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Whenever I register a book with the 13 digit ISBN shown on the book cover, after lookup and registration the ISBN number is changed to its 10 digit form. It bugs me a bit, as the 13 digit version is newer and shows on my book, so I try and remember to copy-paste the original 13 digit ISBN. But out of curiosity, should I be doing this? And if I didn't what would happen? Any clues?
Profile Image
The site will accept either 10-digit or 13-digit ISBNs, so if you'd rather type in the 10-digit one that's fine. I generally use whichever one is easiest to read {wry grin}.

Note that this might become an issue once the assigned ISBNs exceed the ability of the 10-digit number to distinguish; that's why the number was expanded in the first place, to leave more room for growth. If we get to the point where new ISBNs can NOT be converted to 10-digit form and still remain unique, then the BC site shouldn't convert them. I don't know if there's code built in for this or not; if the site uses some packaged ISBN-handling widget, it might take care of things automatically...
Profile Image
I generally use whichever one is easiest to read {wry grin}.
Hehe... I hear ya! :)

Actually, haven't seen a 10-digit one on a (new) book in quite a while. I kinda prefer the 13-digit for some reason, so I always make a point to copy & then paste after the site converts my 13-digit input into a 10-digit. :)

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.