corner corner Where Did My Releases Go?

Forum | << Site Questions: Basic and Advanced | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Where Did My Releases Go?

Hello,

I have released several books around town and they will show up under "go hunting" for a few days and then disappear. None of them have been found (according to their journal entries). Why are they being removed from the list? On the off chance there's someone in my town that is "hunting" for books they will never know where mine are hiding. :-(

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Hello,

I have released several books around town and they will show up under "go hunting" for a few days and then disappear. None of them have been found (according to their journal entries). Why are they being removed from the list? On the off chance there's someone in my town that is "hunting" for books they will never know where mine are hiding. :-(
Profile Image
It's a great fun thing to do and some nice people doing it. Chances are the books have already been picked up by their next reader. Most books are unfortunately never logged. This varies, according to people who have given their logged book figures, between 10% and 25%. There would be various factors that could affect the percentage of books that are logged. How well you labelled the books is the first one. If the labelling isn't obvious, someone could take a book and not even recognise it is a BC book. I put the main label inside the cover with the BCID number and information about BC; plus a label on the cover, another inside at the end of the story with the BCID number and BC address too, plus the all important BC spine label. I say all important, because this is what is seen when checking books on shelves such as charity shops, where some BC books end up. Without this label, unless the book is actually removed from the shelf and opened up, a BCer looking for BC books is unlikely to recognise it and bypass it.
Then where a book is released can make a difference. Some BCers have had more success with books being logged, when they are released in more unusual places for instance. (In a weather proof sealed plastic bag (or two) of course.) Places such as mountain tops, or along walking trails, perhaps a themed release spot that matches the book. A place that tourists frequent. Releasing a book on a book shelf with others does not always get that many logs, from many BCers experience.
My suggestion is to label the books well and obviously, and look for interesting places to leave books. Naturally there does need to be an occasional passer by.
As you release books you will get a feel for places that work. Good luck with this; it's a great hobby. You might be able to meet-up with other BCers too, either near where you live, or further a field. I meet a group of other BCers once a month in my city for instance. I am also meeting up with some BCers in NZ next month.
Profile Image
You might want to change that to spine label : )
Profile Image
I have released several books around town and they will show up under "go hunting" for a few days and then disappear.

Hello,
Books will stay on Go Hunting for 30 days, and then disappear from the page. Could that be what's going on?
In most cases, the books will be long gone by then, and the Go Hunting page would be awfully cluttered if all those books stayed on the page until they were reported as found!
Here's wishing you'll get some nice journal entries soon.
Profile Image
I have released several books around town and they will show up under "go hunting" for a few days and then disappear.

Hello,
Books will stay on Go Hunting for 30 days, and then disappear from the page. Could that be what's going on?
In most cases, the books will be long gone by then, and the Go Hunting page would be awfully cluttered if all those books stayed on the page until they were reported as found!
Here's wishing you'll get some nice journal entries soon.

That's probably it. Thanks for your help. :-)

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.