corner corner How do I delete extra space?

Forum | << Site Questions: Basic and Advanced | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

How do I delete extra space?

I have quite a few books registered and I usually include a little bit about the story. Somehow, some of these descriptions have acquired a significant amount of extra space
in front of it. I've tried to edit them, but I haven't figured out how to delete it (just back spacing at the beginning doesn't work). Does anyone have a suggestion?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I have quite a few books registered and I usually include a little bit about the story. Somehow, some of these descriptions have acquired a significant amount of extra space
in front of it. I've tried to edit them, but I haven't figured out how to delete it (just back spacing at the beginning doesn't work). Does anyone have a suggestion?
Profile Image
just back spacing at the beginning doesn't work

That is quite unusual. Can you give an example so we can look at the source of the journal page?
Profile Image
My BCID: 5983552 is one of those that is affected. Properly speaking, the extra space is not added at the beginning of the entry, but before any of the entries, that is, before the first one. Thank you for looking into this for me Moem. It has me baffled!
Profile Image
Whoa, I only need the numbers after the hyphen... please edit the prefix out, or you might get fake journal entries and we don't want that.

I'm thinking the problem might be a display error. I don't see any extra space in any of the journal entries. The first JE has one line of text, one (and only one) empty line, then a block of text... then one empty line and finally a line of text. It looks quite normal to me.

Are you on a phone or tablet or anything like that?
Profile Image
Done. I'm just on my computer at home. Do you want my phone number?
Profile Image
I'm just on my computer at home.

What browser are you using? That might make a difference. (I don't see any unusual spacing either, fwiw.)

If you copied the text from another site - it looks like the Amazon product-description to me - perhaps you picked up an invisible formatting tidbit of some kind, though I don't know why it displays for you but not for us, nor why you can't edit it out. Next time you're registering books, perhaps you could paste the text into a simple text-editor first - notepad, or something like that - and see if that reveals anything.
Profile Image
I'm using Yahoo (is that what you mean?). Yes, the description is from Amazon. I wonder why this happens only on some entries and not on others? It's mostly on my older entries and hasn't happened on the ones I've registered in the last few days.
Profile Image
I'm using Yahoo (is that what you mean?)

Yahoo is a website.

A browser is the program (the piece of software) that you use to view websites. Some well-known browsers are Internet Explorer and Firefox.

I do think that you are right and that this is something that does not affect how others see your journal entries, so it seems pretty harmless, and not something that urgently needs to be fixed.
Profile Image
What browser are you using? That might make a difference. (I don't see any unusual spacing either, fwiw.)

In case it helps, I see blank space on IE 11 with compatibility view turned off. When I turn compatibility view on, everything seems ok. Opera and Firefox seem ok.

IE 11 compatibility off: https://infotomb.com/hezka.jpg
IE 11 compatibility on: https://infotomb.com/0akh0.jpg
Opera 31: https://infotomb.com/ljn8c.jpg
Firefox 40: https://infotomb.com/udyxc.jpg
Profile Image
I switched to Firefox when I logged on today--no extra spaces!
Profile Image
The only extra space I see is the pesky first-line space in each entry which indents the first line by just one character space. That one drives me bonkers! ;)
But other than that, everything looks fine.
Profile Image
Maybe I'll just learn to live with it, since it doesn't seem to affect what other people see. Thanks for looking into it, guys!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.