corner corner Timed Out Error

Forum | << Site Questions: Basic and Advanced | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Timed Out Error

I need help! I cannot get into bookcrossing! It has been 4 days! I keep getting a timed out message! I get this message from all computers in my house and my phone! I can get onto all other websites: goodreads, bookmooch, bookobsessed etc... I do not know what to do to fix my problem. Please any advice would be great... If I turn off my WiFi, I can access bc on my phone but it is really too hard for me to register books this way and really need to access bc with my laptop! HELP! I AM GETTING DESPERATE!

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I need help! I cannot get into bookcrossing! It has been 4 days! I keep getting a timed out message! I get this message from all computers in my house and my phone! I can get onto all other websites: goodreads, bookmooch, bookobsessed etc... I do not know what to do to fix my problem. Please any advice would be great... If I turn off my WiFi, I can access bc on my phone but it is really too hard for me to register books this way and really need to access bc with my laptop! HELP! I AM GETTING DESPERATE!
Profile Image
Yes, I'm getting a lot of them too. I'll inform Ardik. Maybe it's time for another server restart.
Profile Image

Yay

After 5 LONG days I am back into bookcrossing!! So So happy!!!
Profile Image
I've had a lot of that the last few days aswell. It's not as bad as it was but it keeps happening occasionally
Profile Image
it keeps happening occasionally

Is it still happening for you today? Because the server was restarted yesterday.
Profile Image
It stopped yesterday afternoon about 3.30pm UK time
Profile Image
Got up this morning wanting to make JE on a box of books I received and I am back to the same old timed out message! I want to cry!
Profile Image
Thank goodness!

Or is it only when you want to journal and register books?
Profile Image
It is extremely frustrating!
Profile Image
I don't really understand... you are on the site. Right?
Profile Image
Not on any of my home devices... None of them will connect to BC but I have no issues getting on any other websites....
Profile Image
I would contact your provider. Tell them you can connect with BC elsewhere, but not while using their service.
Profile Image
I would contact your provider.

I concur.
Profile Image
Finally was able to live chat my Internet provider and they are hoping to come up with a fix in 2-3 days
:fingers crossed:
Profile Image
Finally was able to live chat my Internet provider and they are hoping to come up with a fix in 2-3 days
:fingers crossed:

Hope it works. Good luck. Not being able to get one the site would drive me completely batty!
Profile Image
I am going through major withdrawal! Also I have around 300 books that need registered... Ugh!
Profile Image
I am going through major withdrawal! Also I have around 300 books that need registered... Ugh!

I hope this clears up for you soon - I know I get twitchy when I can't access the site, though I haven't had a problem as severe as yours.

If the problem is related to your WiFi setup, perhaps there's a setting for increasing the timeout limit; if it's on the short side, perhaps BC is just that bit slower than other sites and that's causing the timeouts. (If you've already tried that, then never mind!)
Profile Image
I spent a whole day trying to see if I could do just that and if there is a way to do it I could not figure it out!

Still do not have access....
Profile Image
My cable provider says the problem is not at their end and must be on bookcrossing's end, so it looks like something that has been a part of my life daily for 10+ years will be no more! It is just way too hard to do all this with my WiFi turned off on my phone...

I totally feel like crying! I have gotten on BC practically every day since 2004...
Profile Image
Oh, dear. Well, just because it isn't a problem at the provider end doesn't mean it's a BookCrossing problem - I'm having no trouble using the site via my WiFi. [Knock on wood!]

Since the problem does seem to involve your home WiFi setup, I imagine there's something in the wireless router settings or perhaps in the firewall that's blocking the BookCrossing site. If you can post (or submit to BC Support, if you don't want to post it in public) your configuration (computer model, provider, wireless router or adapter model, operating system, firewall and anti-virus software, all that jazz), perhaps we can find some instructions for examining the settings to see if there's a fix. If it's in the firewall, maybe just adding the BookCrossing URL to the allowed/whitelist would do it...
Profile Image
The problem has to be my wifi... Because I don't mind posting all that info here but I can't access from my desktop, laptop, or smartphone... If I turn off my wifi I can access Bookcrossing from my phone but only if I turn off the wifi... of course my desktop goes directly through the Internet not wifi...

I am so confused but will try bc support! Willing to do anything to get BC back regularly!
Profile Image
Of course I have to go to work now but hopefully when I get home I can still get in and can start registering books!!! I cannot even express how extremely happy I am right now to be typing this on my laptop!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!
Profile Image
Wow, that's great news! Any idea what the problem was?
Profile Image
I have no idea what the problem was but I had pretty much given up hope of getting on BC again... Every morning though I would get the laptop out and try to get on and this morning it worked. And it is working again now that I am home from work!!! YAY!!!

Now to get back to registering books for the book giveaway in October...
Profile Image

Yay!! !

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.