corner corner new account for new country?

Forum | << Site Questions: Basic and Advanced | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

new account for new country?

I've recently moved from Finland to the UK. It's been several years since I was active here, but as best I can remember, members who moved country found that all the books they had registered in Country A got switched to show as having started their journeys in Country B.

So I'm tempted to start a new BookCrossing account for myself here. I know that's not normally recommended, but I really want anything I did in Finland still to show as having been in Finland, and for my new activity here to show as UK.

I've been through some 18 pages of a Google search within the BC forums but have yet to find a thread about this topic, so I'm posting here for advice. Can someone confirm for me what will happen if I (a) change my (original) profile from Finland to UK (b) create a new identity for myself, e.g. as Potok-fan-2, resident in the UK.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I've recently moved from Finland to the UK. It's been several years since I was active here, but as best I can remember, members who moved country found that all the books they had registered in Country A got switched to show as having started their journeys in Country B.

So I'm tempted to start a new BookCrossing account for myself here. I know that's not normally recommended, but I really want anything I did in Finland still to show as having been in Finland, and for my new activity here to show as UK.

I've been through some 18 pages of a Google search within the BC forums but have yet to find a thread about this topic, so I'm posting here for advice. Can someone confirm for me what will happen if I (a) change my (original) profile from Finland to UK (b) create a new identity for myself, e.g. as Potok-fan-2, resident in the UK.
Profile Image
I know there have been old discussions on this, though I haven't seen the subject come up in some time. As far as I know, the "book registered" location will be the one attached to your profile, and if you change your profile location the book-registered info will change too. (That's how it worked in the early days, anyway. The site-revamp from some years back changed a lot of things, but I don't recall that this included "save the original registered-at-location info".)

You could experiment with this by changing your profile info and then checking to see what effect it had on your books - allowing some time to pass, as some database updates only take place every few hours. If the registered-location info does change, and if you really, really don't want that, you can change your profile info back, and then create a new account.

If it were me, I'd keep the same account, as it has all my BC history, and I'd just add a comment to my profile to explain that I'd lived in X from years A to B, so all my books registered in that time had begun their travels in X. But if you want to make a new account you can simply explain your reasons and include a link to the old one (and link the old to the new as well), to tie your histories together.

Side note: I do like to include my location on my BC labels. The supply-store ones have fields for this, and even when I'm using the print-for-free labels I've taken to jotting the location and registration-year in the corner of the label. That way a finder will get an initial hint as to how far or how long the book's been traveling. That, at least, won't change even if the database location does!
Profile Image
If it were me, I'd keep the same account, as it has all my BC history, and I'd just add a comment to my profile to explain that I'd lived in X from years A to B, so all my books registered in that time had begun their travels in X.

Yes, that's what I would do, too. But of course it's a matter of personal preference. As long as you use one account at a time, it's all good.
Profile Image
Thanks, Moem and GoryD. It's rather comforting to see familiar names here after so long away!
Profile Image
would make it clear in my notes which country I had bought / released my books.
Profile Image
but started to add a line to every book about where it was registered (---Registered in Basel, Switzerland--).
Profile Image
it would be a real shame to have to close it just to keep old releases accurate.

Although I admit that sometimes it's confusing too, when ppl move and their journals got changed.
Profile Image
it would be a real shame to have to close it just to keep old releases accurate.

Well I also hate that the site changes info on old releases. Why can't it just leave them the way they are and change anything from the date you say you moved onward.

What's the point of having book registration and release details if they are changed and are wrong.
Profile Image
That was my concern, too, solittletime!
Profile Image

Well I also hate that the site changes info on old releases. Why can't it just leave them the way they are and change anything from the date you say you moved onward.

What's the point of having book registration and release details if they are changed and are wrong.
I agree. It makes it appear that books have traved from places they have never been.
Very specific JE's or a name change seem to be the only current solution.
Profile Image
Welcome back!
So what did you end up doing, potok-fan?
Profile Image
It took me 4 months to make my mind up (well, I also got distracted by other things), but tonight I found a book in the wild (not yet registered on BC, sadly), but I wanted to replace it with one I *had* registered, so that was the impetus I needed.

--Potok-fan, now to be known as Potok-too.

Edited to add link: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13602932
Profile Image
Potok-fan, now to be known as Potok-too.

A good solution.
Profile Image
The site is in need of much TLC & updates, but one of the "features" that bugs me most is that the "registered at" location is connected with my user location. Fortunately, I rarely register books these days, but when I travel, I sometimes do, and it irks me to no extent that the location of registration is my home town and not the actual location where the book was bought and registered.

So, if I ever find myself in your situation, moving for an extended period of time, I'm definitely opening a new account and simply linking to the old one on my profile page. The stats are not quite correct anyway, so the fact that I'd be losing a piece of (imprecise) history on my profile doesn't bug me all that much. :)
Profile Image
one of the "features" that bugs me most is that the "registered at" location is connected with my user location.

I don't read it like that. I read it as 'registered by so-and-so who is [currently] at <location>.' This helps me keep my sanity!
Profile Image
one of the "features" that bugs me most is that the "registered at" location is connected with my user location.

I don't read it like that. I read it as 'registered by so-and-so who is [currently] at <location>.' This helps me keep my sanity!

Hehe... Good idea. :)
Profile Image
Thanks! And in fact, I think that's even how it's meant. If I look at one of my older journal entries, from before I lived in Zevenaar, it says "Journal Entry 1 by Moem from Zevenaar, Gelderland Netherlands on Monday, December 29, 2008".
It doesn't say that the journal entry was made in Zevenaar. Neither does it say that the book was registered there. It just says that I'm 'from Zevenaar' (on the journal entry) and 'of Zevenaar' (on the book details). Both of which are true (currently).

So it doesn't say that the book started its journey in Zevenaar; it simply doesn't state where that happened. That's better than stating it wrong!

When I release a book, *that* is where and when it starts its journey. And the locations on release notes stay put when I move to a different city.
I'm actually fine with the way this works, now that I've given it a better look (and think).
Profile Image
Yes, you are absolutely right! Took a peek, and the syntactic formulation of the initial JE in no way references the location as being that of registration. But I feel it should or we lose the origin points of books.

If I register a book while in Croatia but then move to - I dunno - Australia and take the book with me, if I update my profile info instead of opening a new BC account for Australia, then the origin point of the book changes to Australia, and that's quite a jump.

If BookCrossing is all about tracking books, it would be nice if the location stayed fixed in initial JEs as well, not just the subsequent JEs and release notes, because otherwise we lose the origin point of the book in favour of showing a member's current location. Of course, there are ways around it, like making a subsequent JE right away which will have a fixed location, unlike the initial JE.

Now that we don't have a map, it's not that big of a deal (well, it never really actually IS a big deal, not in the grander scheme of things. *grin*), but if we had a map - and I do dream that one day we will have it again, a book's origin point would get lost because the initial JE always changes the location as a BCer updates their location on the Profile page.

But, as I said, not a big deal.
Not without a map.
And especially not on the grander scale of things. ;)
BC is just a way to have some (additional) fun with books.
Profile Image
the syntactic formulation of the initial JE in no way references the location as being that of registration. But I feel it should or we lose the origin points of books.

Then we need a way to actually state that location, as it cannot be assumed to be the place where we live at any given time. I have certainly registered books while away from home!
I don't see the registration place as the origin point of the book. For me, like I said, that is the location of the (first) release.
Profile Image
Then we need a way to actually state that location......

Yes! Yes, please. Oh, how lovely that would be!
*feeling all warm and fuzzy inside at the very thought*

But that's a discussion for the Features forum. ;)
Profile Image
I, too, like the idea of having a way to state where a book was registered.

And I accept that there are differences of opinion on what to do about bookcrossers who move house. But especially when the move is across a national border (or several) or a great distance (e.g. east coast to west in the USA), it feels like that will easily confuse a newbie reading about a given book's travels.

When I register and release a book away from home, I usually remark upon that in my JE. (Even more so for those places that I didn't visit at all, but where *Mr* Potok offered to release a book for me!) But for all the years I was living in Finland, releasing books at the dentist's office, my workplace, and BookCrossing gatherings, I didn't bother to explain that "at present I'm living in this city in Finland but someday I might move far away."

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.