corner corner I like the pre-numbered but...

Forum | << Site Questions: Basic and Advanced | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

I like the pre-numbered but...

I don't like the three first figures such for the entire serie.
Would it be possible to increment the three first figures like the following figures?
For example:
416-xxxxx102
417-xxxxx103
418-xxxxx104
419-xxxxx105
etc...
For the 10 pre-numbered and for the 100 of course...

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I don't like the three first figures such for the entire serie.
Would it be possible to increment the three first figures like the following figures?
For example:
416-xxxxx102
417-xxxxx103
418-xxxxx104
419-xxxxx105
etc...
For the 10 pre-numbered and for the 100 of course...
Profile Image
I admit that I never use the 100-batch prenums for this very reason; I'm willing to take a chance on the 10-batch ones not bringing too much attention to the "same prefix for all 10" situation. (I used to worry about some prankster figuring out the pattern and posting a bunch of random JEs, but that seldom seems to happen {knock on wood}. A more likely complication of the same-prefix situation is that a simple typo might result in my releasing the wrong book the same set, though that's easy enough to fix. I suppose a finder might mis-type the public portion of the BCID and wind up journaling the wrong book, which could confuse them as well as the releaser, but I don't know how likely that is... )

I do recall that the reason for the same-prefix situation had to do with implementing a site feature to keep track of the prenum batches more easily; while it might be possible to modify all that to keep track of individual prefixes as well as the range of numbers, it could be a lot of work.

One way to help reduce the odds of finders noticing a pattern: use two different sets of prenums at a time, alternating the sets for each new book you register. If you release those books together, it's less likely that any two of them will have the same prefix - and if you throw in a few individually-registered books it'll break up the pattern even more. I do tend to do this, though not religiously.
Profile Image
One way to help reduce the odds of finders noticing a pattern: use two different sets of prenums at a time, alternating the sets for each new book you register. If you release those books together, it's less likely that any two of them will have the same prefix

Yes, I have several pages of pre-nums going all the time and register a book off of each page so that I don't release too many same-prefix books together. (I started doing this years ago after someone DID figure it out and wrote several very offensive JEs on books that I still had in my possession after figuring out the number sequence. The JEs were truly awful and had to be deleted by the tech team.
Profile Image
A long-standing request of mine, too, but would favour completely random prefixes.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.