corner corner Searching for specific books on my bookshelf

Forum | << Site Questions: Basic and Advanced | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Searching for specific books on my bookshelf

Hello,
I have a question, because I screwed up during a book release... I made release entries for 6 books last week. My husband was going to leave those books off somewhere, but brought 2 of them back home, because there wasn't enough room to leave them at the specified place. I deleted those 2 release entries. Then the next day I took those 2 books with me and left them somewhere else. Unfortunately, I forgot to write release entries for the new release location. The problem is that I don't remember which 2 books I left there. Is there anyway I can find those books on my shelf so I can write release entries? I can see recent activity but that shows the books that were released in the first place. I'm looking for the 2 books of which I deleted the release entry. If I browse my bookshelf I see many familiar books of course, but I honestly don't remember which ones I left off... Are there any other filters I can set? Hope someone can help me so I can make new release entries.
Thanks!
Patricia

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Hello,
I have a question, because I screwed up during a book release... I made release entries for 6 books last week. My husband was going to leave those books off somewhere, but brought 2 of them back home, because there wasn't enough room to leave them at the specified place. I deleted those 2 release entries. Then the next day I took those 2 books with me and left them somewhere else. Unfortunately, I forgot to write release entries for the new release location. The problem is that I don't remember which 2 books I left there. Is there anyway I can find those books on my shelf so I can write release entries? I can see recent activity but that shows the books that were released in the first place. I'm looking for the 2 books of which I deleted the release entry. If I browse my bookshelf I see many familiar books of course, but I honestly don't remember which ones I left off... Are there any other filters I can set? Hope someone can help me so I can make new release entries.
Thanks!
Patricia
Profile Image
Heh! If I understand you, the filter you want is "search for books with the most recently-deleted release-notes", and, alas, we don't have that one {wry grin}. [In some cases the books *might* appear under the release zones on the "go hunting" pages for a little while after a release note was removed - the database sometimes takes a while to catch up with that kind of change - but if it's been a few days then it's too late for that. You *might* be able to Google the go-hunting-page release zone and look for a cached copy of the page, which *might* show the releases made before you deleted them, but that's a long shot.]

If you really can't recall the titles of the re-released books, and if a quick scan of your bookshelf doesn't remind you, then your options are:

1. If possible, return to the release spot and see if the books are still there so you can identify them.

2. If not possible, or if the books are gone... well, you could sort all the books you still have in hand, and compare them to your BC bookshelf with the "books in hand" filter set, and look for the titles that aren't there. But that could take quite some time if you have loads of books on hand, especially if they aren't in any easily-sortable order. [Note: I'm not sure, but I *think* that if you just deleted your old release notes without explicitly changing the status of the books, they may still show as "traveling". If so, those books won't show under the "books in hand" filter; you'd have to view your "traveling" books instead. Depending on how many of those there are, it might be worthwhile clicking on each title to see if there's a release note or not...]

3. Post a little note in your extended profile saying "Oops, I released two books at [release zone] on [date], but can't remember which ones! If you found a book of mine and it has no release notes, it's probably one of those!"

After I ran into a forgot-which-book-I-released situation, I started writing down the BCIDs of books I'm taking to release. And I often take release-photos, which (if it's a relatively close-up shot) may reveal enough of the cover to ID the book. Even with all that, sometimes I miss one, and even now I'm sure I have a few books showing as "in hand" on my bookshelf that I must have released somewhere, because I can't find them in the house!
Profile Image
At least you noticed right away. I found a few that were missing from my shelf who knows how long. I must have released it long ago without making notes. They got release notes to "Somewhere".
Profile Image
There may be a way, due to a bug in the system. Unfortunately I cannot test it now but let's see if it works.

I seem to recall that books whose release notes I've deleted, stayed on in my Travelling list, even though my stats corrected themselves to show less released books.

If so, the trick would be to look on your own bookshelf for books in Travelling status, sort them with the most recent activity at the top, and then look for those without release notes.

It's a stab in the dark, but could it be these two?
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/4563642
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/4620303
Profile Image
Thanks for the tips! I guess I will check to see if the books are still there next time I go there. Unfortunately, the bug that Stoepbrak referred to is no longer a bug ;-)

I'll check my travelling list again, but I don't think they're on there.

Going through all the BC books in my house is not an option. There are too many in too many different places. That's exactly why I started releasing again (after a too long time of BC-inactivity). I was once the winner of the Tiara Sweepstakes, and received hundreds of books!

Lesson learned for next time! Thanks for the input!!
Profile Image
I might try looking in my browser's history - I'm not sure if this would work for everyone but I use Safari and can go back and see which pages I visited on a certain day - so you could see those BC books, and if you hadn't looked at a bunch of other ones that day, those would be the ones. Maybe?

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.