corner corner Editing capital letters in book titles

Forum | << Site Questions: Basic and Advanced | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Editing capital letters in book titles

Why is this not possible? Example:

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/7170333

The title of this book is listed as "Sirkelens Ende". This is a typo as the first letters of succeeding words are never capitalized in Norwegian titles. I know for a fact that I didn't enter the title like this (I have a number of these errors on my bookshelf) so this is something the site itself has altered, presumably because this is correct in English. But it's wrong in the Scandinavian languages. Editing it is impossible as the capital E stays no matter what. Why???

Obviously not the end of the world but it is really annoying to have a whole slew of books on my shelf with misspelled titles - especially when I know that I spelled them correctly when I registered them.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Why is this not possible? Example:

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/7170333

The title of this book is listed as "Sirkelens Ende". This is a typo as the first letters of succeeding words are never capitalized in Norwegian titles. I know for a fact that I didn't enter the title like this (I have a number of these errors on my bookshelf) so this is something the site itself has altered, presumably because this is correct in English. But it's wrong in the Scandinavian languages. Editing it is impossible as the capital E stays no matter what. Why???

Obviously not the end of the world but it is really annoying to have a whole slew of books on my shelf with misspelled titles - especially when I know that I spelled them correctly when I registered them.
Profile Image
Yeah, it is annoying. I expect that the code that checks to see if there's been a change to the title or author field is not cap-sensitive, the same way that the book-search code is, though while that makes sense when searching, it makes less sense while editing. I don't know how hard it would be to change to book-detail-edit code to be case-sensitive, but it would be a nice fix.

There is a workaround - if you change the title by one letter, the change will stick (though possibly not right away, the site being funny about time-delays sometimes), and then you can go back and re-edit it to include the correct capitalization. HOWEVER: the site database winds up with a new "global summary" record for every new-and-different title/ISBN/category, so this isn't the most optimum workaround for the poor database, but that's whole 'nother issue {wry grin}. [If there's something else wrong with the title or author - a missing or extra middle initial, missing or extra punctuation or subtitle - you can add/remove those while changing the case at the same time, and that *should* work. And as that would only require making one set of changes it's not quite as tedious.]

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.