corner corner Ardik, the gremlin! formerly knowns as delating posts blabla

Forum | << Site Questions: Basic and Advanced | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Ardik, the gremlin! formerly knowns as delating posts blabla

I always thought you can only delate your forumposts, if they are not answered yet. Am I wrong? And what happens to the answer?
A few minutes ago I answered to a post (Nr.53...) in this thread http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/490208 with quoting it. Now the post is delated and my answer vanished with it. I thought this is rather strange. Is it supposed to be like that?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I always thought you can only delate your forumposts, if they are not answered yet. Am I wrong? And what happens to the answer?
A few minutes ago I answered to a post (Nr.53...) in this thread http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/490208/ with quoting it. Now the post is delated and my answer vanished with it. I thought this is rather strange. Is it supposed to be like that?
Profile Image
It's not supposed to be possible to delete posts with replies (unless you have support-privileges), but I can think of some ways this could happen. First, did you receive any error messages when you posted your reply? (I expect you'd have mentioned it if it did, but just in case...) If your reply didn't take, then the previous post could have been deleted.

Or, if the original reply was being deleted at the same time that you posted your reply, there may be a timing window in which it looked as though your reply "took" but once the database caught up with itself the original reply was gone and yours had nothing to attach to.

Or - if the post you replied to was spam or something else against site policy (again, I'd have thought you would have mentioned that, but I'm trying to cover all bases here), it and your reply could have been removed by support. In cases where a post is blatantly spam, and the reply is "I'm reporting this spam to Support", sometimes the messages are removed completely to avoid cluttering a thread.

Or maybe it's gremlins, warming up for Halloween?
Profile Image
There was no spam or anything unfriendly. And it was nothing very important. I could see the thread on top of the first page of the German forum. I could see my answer there and it was even answered again by the same bookcrosser. Than the thread disappeared from the first page. That was what made me curious. So I started searching for it.
Or maybe it's gremlins, warming up for Halloween?

Yeah, I hope for this one. Otherwise everyone could mess around the forums too much!
Profile Image
I assume you're referring to the 17 months old rings collection thread.

I'm the culprit.

I figured it makes most sense if that thread fell back where it came from (so it won't accidentally be picked up again) and therefore with my site-admin powers boldly deleted the misplaced post, your reply and their re-reply as soon as these posts became obsolete. This is the only way to move a thread back in the timeline (apart from editing the posts' timestamps which would've been pretty absurd in this case).

OK, I think now there's some need for further explanations, at least for anybody else who may be reading this:

- In the German forum we have a series of periodically renewed threads which list ring offerings within a certain time period. Accidentally someone posted a current ring offer (which should've gone in the "2014" thread) in the "March 2013" thread, Rochester74 notified the BookCrosser who then replied that (s)he'll post again in the current thread. After (s)he in fact did that I deleted this short communication for the reason given above.

- *Technically* BookCrossing Support *can* delete forum posts (and even whole threads). They only do this to remove spam, illegal stuff or other things which are clearly against site policy (commonly they just *edit* the post, deleting its content and leaving a remark). And very occasionally to clean up an obviously accidental double post. Even they can only delete unanswered post - but of course they can cascade backwards, deleting one by one ...
I, the site admin, am the only one to be so bold to take an action like I did - after I carefully considered a) it doesn't harm to anybody or anything (ok, apart from irritation) and b) has a substantial purpose and advantage.
Profile Image
I'm the culprit.

Ahhh. Good that it was you and not a really annoying bug or disfunction :-)
Profile Image
I, the site admin, am the only one to be so bold to take an action like I did - after I carefully considered a) it doesn't harm to anybody or anything (ok, apart from irritation) and b) has a substantial purpose and advantage.

I for one am glad that you are so bold : )
Profile Image
have moved to a different forum, was it?
Profile Image
We should never have fed him after midnight.
Profile Image
We'll have to be more careful in the future.
Profile Image
But I won't feed *before* midnight ...
Profile Image
Maybe we should also sprinkle you with water!

Ummm... On second thought, maybe not.
That might prove to be more trouble than help. ;)
Profile Image
Maybe we should also sprinkle you with water!

Ummm... On second thought, maybe not.
That might prove to be more trouble than help. ;)
Eeeeek! Waaaaater!!!!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.