corner corner wrong bcid

Forum | << Site Questions: Basic and Advanced | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

wrong bcid

I have just registered 3 books , i have pre numbered labels , yet each time it has given me a new bcid code , i have done the correct procedure each time i have registered , what is going wrong with this site

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I have just registered 3 books , i have pre numbered labels , yet each time it has given me a new bcid code , i have done the correct procedure each time i have registered , what is going wrong with this site
Profile Image
To the right of your screen from your profile page, under your 'bookshelf', you'll find a drop down menu. The same one that has Wishlist on it. You should see a tab for Pre-registered numbers. That is where you register (or make a first journal) for a pre-registered number. If yyou register a book from the top left of your profile screen, it will always generate a new BCID number for that book.

It can be a little frustrating, until you get used to the features of the site. The Information Tab on the top left has some great explanations and FAQs. Also, members are willing to help with questions. Good luck, and have fun!
Profile Image
Q60:Somehow I registered the same book twice; how do I get rid of the extra book? answer

For the time being, BookCrossing has gone completely "green" with our BCIDs and we are not deleting any registered books from our data base. If you have inadvertently registered a book twice and it has two distinct BCIDs, please recycle the extra BCID for another book by editing the book details to reflect the information for the proper book. Then make sure you've labeled the correct book with the correct BCID, and you're on your way!
Profile Image
Sorry you're feeling frustrated! The prenums are helpful, but you do have to handle them differently. (The "register book" page does have help-text to explain that if you're using a prenumbered label you need to make a journal entry instead, but it's easy to miss.)

As quietorchid mentioned, you can see a list of your inactive prenums in that listbox, but you can also use them by selecting the "journal entry" option under the "home" tab; basically, the first journal entry on any prenumbered BCID will trigger the "enter book details" process.

I tend to use a mix of prenumbered BCIDs and individually-registered ones, depending on the situation. (I even carry around a couple of prenumbered labels so that I can label-and-release a book without hauling it home first; I just make a note of the BCID and the book's information and activate it via journal-entry when I can.)
Profile Image
you both missed what i said, this is not the first time i have used pre numbered labels , never had a problem till today
Profile Image
Could this be another browser problem, like the earlier problem with wishlists?

Sorry I misunderstood.
Profile Image
you both missed what i said, this is not the first time i have used pre numbered labels , never had a problem till today

Ah, sorry - I didn't realize you'd used them successfully before.

I think I've seen other reports of this problem, now that I understand, but I just tried searching the forums and couldn't track it down. If I recall correctly, someone else who was familiar with using prenums ran into a situation such as you describe - but I don't know if it was tracked down to a particular bug, or if the problem went away by itself after a short time.

If you remember approximately what time you tried to activate your prenums and got new BCIDs instead, you could use the "contact us" link to submit a bug report to the support team; include the prenumbered BCIDs you entered, and the new BCIDs that were generated instead, along with the usual configuration info (your operating system and browser). Oh, and include the steps you took - that is, were you using the "journal entry" menu item from the "home" tab, or typing the BCID directly into the big "GO!" box at the top of the page, or some other link? I do know that there have been cases where one entry-point for a particular function worked better (for some configurations, anyway) than another one, even though they *should* do the same thing.

Sorry this isn't much help. The problem might go away on its own, which is almost as frustrating as having it stick around - the "sporadic" bugs are a pain to solve. If you try again later, and if it's still happening - and if you're up for a little debugging - perhaps you could try a different browser, or even a different computer, just to see if that changes things.
Profile Image
I think I've seen other reports of this problem, now that I understand, but I just tried searching the forums and couldn't track it down

Yes, it happened to me, just one day. Every pre-num I tried to make a JE on gave me a NEW BCID, not the one I was trying to activate. I don't know why. I don't remember it happening after that day.

I may have been using my phone to make the JEs that day, rather than on my computer, but I've used it before (just not often) and it has activated pre-nums properly before.

One of those crazy BC-gremlin days.
Profile Image

RE: wrong bcid

Could you please exactly describe how you did it this time, when it failed?
Profile Image
Could you please exactly describe how you did it this time, when it failed?

In my case, it was months ago, and I was activating pre-nums using my iPhone. It was an old phone that I no longer have, but I had activated pre-nums with it both before and after the day that it gave me new numbers, with no problem before or since.
Profile Image
Well it is not a one off bug , just happened again
Profile Image
Well it is not a one off bug , just happened again

What browser are you using? I seem to recall someone mentioning that they had problems activating prenums using Google Chrome, but found that using Firefox worked for them. (This could be a matter of timing, of course; if something was out of sync in the site's databases and it got back in order at the same time that the BCer tried a different browser, it would look as though that solved the problem. And it could be a combination of browser, operating system, specific entry-point into the book-info page, phase of the moon...]

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.