corner corner Just had the weirdest on-site experience! :)

Forum | << Site Questions: Basic and Advanced | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Just had the weirdest on-site experience! :)

I was commenting on a reported spam thread over in Community Bulletin Board, wondering about the laziness of spammers who can't even bother to formulate their text so that it entices you to click their link, and when I hit save I got an Error message.
Now, in and off itself, that wouldn't be strange at all, but when I hit the back button to copy my text and then exited into the forum, the topic was completely gone.
*Poof!*
Just disappeared.

Has it now become possible to erase threads?
Or did I step into the Twilight Zone for a bit?
Just curious. :)

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I was commenting on a reported spam thread over in Community Bulletin Board, wondering about the laziness of spammers who can't even bother to formulate their text so that it entices you to click their link, and when I hit save I got an Error message.
Now, in and off itself, that wouldn't be strange at all, but when I hit the back button to copy my text and then exited into the forum, the topic was completely gone.
*Poof!*
Just disappeared.

Or did I step into the Twilight Zone for a bit?
Just curious. :)
Profile Image

Not for normal users, no, it hasn't. Some special users (think: Tech team and the like) can do it under some circumstances.

But if you prefer to believe that you spent a brief moment in the Twilight Zone, that's fine too :o)
Profile Image
But if you prefer to believe that you spent a brief moment in the Twilight Zone, that's fine too :o)
Nah, my reality is weird & hectic enough. ;)
Profile Image
I have left a spam message and it has been deleted along with the spam; in other words, the whole thread. Your timing must have matched the deletion.
Profile Image
I have left a spam message and it has been deleted along with the spam; in other words, the whole thread. Your timing must have matched the deletion.

Yes, it must have. :) It just surprised me, as I usually see spam threads that are just emptied of content, but the threads themselves are not deleted.
I didn't know they actually could disappear. ;)
Profile Image

That happened to me once too a while back. I was curious if anything had been done about the spam, and when I looked back the thread, including my Spam Reported post, was just gone.
Profile Image

Yes, it must have. :) It just surprised me, as I usually see spam threads that are just emptied of content, but the threads themselves are not deleted.
We do it either way once in a while. We like to leave a trace now and then that indicates that spam is consequently and quickly deleted. If the spam post also bumps an old thread to the top and sometimes if it's a plain new thread we rather tend to delete it completely.
We don't have a strict policy about that (as long as the spam is gone afterwards) so every member of the team may have their own style.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.