corner corner Just wondering

Forum | << Site Questions: Basic and Advanced | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Just wondering

Should I give up hoping that the site will stop changing my selection of category someday?

I find it SO frustrating that the site MAKES me fill it in, and then changes my selection to a category that I do NOT want. It happens every day and it makes me crazy.

Is this on a list somewhere to be fixed? Or should I just give up all hope? : (

ETA: Also, when I type an author name in and the site changes what I typed to all caps. Will this ever be changed? Or will the site always edit my choices?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Should I give up hoping that the site will stop changing my selection of category someday?

I find it SO frustrating that the site MAKES me fill it in, and then changes my selection to a category that I do NOT want. It happens every day and it makes me crazy.

Is this on a list somewhere to be fixed? Or should I just give up all hope? : (

ETA: Also, when I type an author name in and the site changes what I typed to all caps. Will this ever be changed? Or will the site always edit my choices?

Profile Image
Will this ever be changed? Or will the site always edit my choices?

It will most likely be changed, but there is no telling when. It's on the list. That's all I can tell you.

It was introduced as a attempt to gain uniform data, which in itself sounds desirable, right? But it has turned out to be an annoyance to some of us, and that's unfortunate. It's not something that can just be removed, it was a management decision after all. But we do see that it needs to be improved. It would be better if the category were suggested, but you could still pick a different one if you wanted.

If you edit the book details after registration, the category should then stick.

For the author name, you could use the technically ugly, but workable workaround of adding an extra space between the first and last name. This should not affect search results. We don't know of any bad side effects. It does allow you to change the name from all caps to normal.
Profile Image
It was introduced as a attempt to gain uniform data, which in itself sounds desirable, right?

If it was correct uniform data, I would not be frustrated and complaining. But when it tells me I've registered an e-book, when I have a physical book in my hand and have never registered an e-book in my life, I really want to throw the book at someone. And when it changes a children's board book to non-fiction, etc.

And I now am apparently 3 books short of 14 (yes fourteen) pages of women's fiction, whatever the hell that is, a category that I have never, not once, not ever, used on purpose, and a category that I change every time it comes up when I register a book.

I change it to the category that is accurate, in my estimation, on my book, and yes, usually that sticks, but not always. Just this week, I have found it on new books that I have registered, after I had changed it to something else and saved.

Sorry, is my frustration showing?
Profile Image
I read this, and sighed. And then went and checked my shelf. Yes, the dreaded and degrading 'Women's Fiction' was back.

And so I went through my shelf and fixed the categories again. Yes, most were 'sticky' from the last time, but some were not.

I believe this sore point is a function of age, or rather what the participant has lived through. Has management ever had to swallow bitter feelings of rage over not being allowed to do what they were capable of 'because you are just a woman'? Have they lost promotions because their male counterpart had a family to support? Have they ever experienced losing a job because a man needed it more to put food on the table? Have they been told 'they were cute when they were mad'? Have they ever suffered an assault that was greeted with 'How were you dressed? How did you act?'

Things are better, marginally, the rampant sexism is more institutionalized and slyer now, but the past (and shadowed present) still burns. But I will get over it, I've had a lot of practice at swallowing rage, and patiently waiting for my trifling concerns to be addressed when other more important things are taken care of.

Hey, with the Afforable Care Act, I at least no longer have to pay a 10% surcharge on insurance because I am 'only a woman,' now if I could only find more Doctors (and other providers) who would actually listen to 'an emotional woman.'
Profile Image
That is, if I add a wish for a book that doesn't already have an entry in the BC database, even if I fill in all the fields - including category - the new global-overview page for that entry does not have a category at all. This means that the default setting for any newly-registered copy of that book will pick up the no-category too, and while the book details can be edited to correct the category, this shouldn't be necessary.

While the problem of erroneous or inconsistent global-overview data is a messy one to solve, the problem of new wishes not saving the category should be fairly easy to fix... right? [It's not a huge headache for me - at least not once I figured out what was happening! - but it's a peeve.]

It occurs to me that one workaround would be to actually register a copy of the new title; this would create a global-overview page with the selected category. Then one could either edit the book-details for some other book, and use the global-overview page to add a new wish - or save the pre-registered entry for if and when a copy of that book turns up... [Can you say "kludge"? I knew you could! {grin}]
Profile Image
I find it particularly annoying when I've selected a category to see that it's immediately been changed to Unknown! Why? It's not at all Unknown! I entered a valid category when I registered the book, so what's that all about? I've just had another one this morning that I had to go back and alter!
Profile Image
I find it particularly annoying when I've selected a category to see that it's immediately been changed to Unknown! Why? It's not at all Unknown! I entered a valid category when I registered the book, so what's that all about? I've just had another one this morning that I had to go back and alter!

This may be due to the wishlist problem I mentioned; if the first global-overview page for that title was created via the add-new-wish process, it won't have a category, which means that whoever registers a copy of that book will find that it defaults to "unknown". [There may be other reasons why a global-overview page has no category, but this is the one I've seen the most often.]
Profile Image

This may be due to the wishlist problem I mentioned; if the first global-overview page for that title was created via the add-new-wish process, it won't have a category, which means that whoever registers a copy of that book will find that it defaults to "unknown". [There may be other reasons why a global-overview page has no category, but this is the one I've seen the most often.]

Suurreal! The quirkiness of this Site's quirks never ceases to amaze me :-) But I love it, anyway!!!!!
Thanks for your explanation!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.