corner corner new computer - same old printer - 2 problems

Forum | << Site Questions: Basic and Advanced | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

new computer - same old printer - 2 problems

1 - When I used to click to print pre-numbered labels, I got a page that asked if I wanted to make the labels fit the page and I always clicked on NO and they printed fine. New computer Windows 8, same old HP deskjet printer, everything prints great except the pre-nums because I no longer get that screen where I can click on NO. Now I tell the computer to print and it just prints, without a screen where I can tell it not to make the labels fit the page. And of course the last few rows of labels are no good as they don't fit correctly. I was using Windows XP, now Windows 8, and I'm lost as to how to fix the problem. Suggestions?

2 - Since changing to the new computer, when I use Update Cover, and upload an image I took on my phone, it comes out lying on its side, even though it was correct side up when I saved it to my computer. http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12306813 and http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12287290 . Any idea as to why? Or how to make it stop?

Thanks.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
1 - When I used to click to print pre-numbered labels, I got a page that asked if I wanted to make the labels fit the page and I always clicked on NO and they printed fine. New computer Windows 8, same old HP deskjet printer, everything prints great except the pre-nums because I no longer get that screen where I can click on NO. Now I tell the computer to print and it just prints, without a screen where I can tell it not to make the labels fit the page. And of course the last few rows of labels are no good as they don't fit correctly. I was using Windows XP, now Windows 8, and I'm lost as to how to fix the problem. Suggestions?

2 - Since changing to the new computer, when I use Update Cover, and upload an image I took on my phone, it comes out lying on its side, even though it was correct side up when I saved it to my computer. http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12306813/ and http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12287290/ . Any idea as to why? Or how to make it stop?

Thanks.
Profile Image
when you tell the computer to print, it may show a smaller screen showing your HP printer. If it does, normally you would click 'print'. If this is what you see, instead of clicking 'print', click 'preferences'. That allows the printer to run the show, instead of Windows 8.
Profile Image
If this is what you see, instead of clicking 'print', click 'preferences'. That allows the printer to run the show, instead of Windows 8.

Thanks. I did get a screen asking if I wanted my HP printer to collate, print portrait or landscape, which printer tray, etc., but nothing about Print to Fit.

I don't think (although I'm not sure) that that used to be an option from my printer, I had the impression that it was a PDF screen. Which I no longer see. So the page I just printed doesn't fit the labels, again.
Profile Image
Okay, I just ran through the drill myself. Here's what I see and do:

I ask for 10 prenums. I open the file. Under File I click print another box opens, and it has my printer name.

to the right of my printer name is a box called preferences. If i click on this I can do all sorts of things. Under that is a set off box called Print Range. I leave it alone.

Finally there is a set off box called 'page handling.
the first option is Copies default is set to 1.
the second option is Page Scaling. My default is none. But if I click on that small window section, the other options are scale to fit, multible pages, booklet option etc. Obviously this is where the interface is going wrong.

Does this sound like what you see?
Profile Image
Does this sound like what you see?

Not really. I see

copies (1)
pages (current page)
size (letter)
pages per sheet (1)
more settings: and when I click I get another page with

orientation (portrait)
collation (collated)
pages per sheet (1)
size (letter)
type (plain paper)
tray (upper paper tray)
color mode (color)

I've clicked on every one and see nothing about page scaling or scale to fit as an option on any of them. : (
Profile Image
Does changing the size option help?
Profile Image
Does changing the size option help?

Vekiki might be on to something.
"Letter" size is slightly larger than standard "A4", at least it is in my printer's settings.
If you change the size to A4, maybe they'll print out okay.
Profile Image
f you change the size to A4, maybe they'll print out okay.

Nope. When I print letter size, the top 4 fit in the labels okay and the bottom 6 did not.

With A4, the bottom 6 are within the labels and the top 4 are not. So I've still got ruined labels.

: (
Profile Image
I've still got ruined labels.

Print on plain paper until you get it right. That's what I do.

I wish I could help but I've never seen Win8 up close... Maybe, just maybe, you are viewing the PDFs in a different kind of software now (could be something that's integrated in Windows now), that does not offer 'print to fit'?
I use FoxIt Reader as a PDF viewer, it offers that option, maybe you could install that and see if it helps. It's free.
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/

As for the pictures, seems like Win8 is 'helpfully' showing them to you the right side up when in reality they aren't. Do you have an image editing program you could open them in, to check?
Profile Image
With A4, the bottom 6 are within the labels and the top 4 are not. So I've still got ruined labels.

: (

Aw, shucks! I'm sorry! :(
Definitely do as Moem suggests, print all test labels on plain paper until you get it right.

As for the photos... I've had that problem a few times, though NOT consistently (which is annoying, as one then doesn't know what causes it). I managed to solve it in two ways:
1. took my photo in landscape mode and then cropped away the bits I did not want (as the this problem occurred for me only with photos taken in portrait mode)
or
2. upon transferring the photos to my computer, I saved a new copy -- just a new copy, without any editing -- and that usually fixed it. Note the word usually -- it did NOT work consistently. *sigh*
Profile Image
In desperation, I occassionaly will tell it to print at 94%. Often shrinking it to 94 makes it fit. Try that on a blank piece of paper and hold it up to the labels. Good Luck, sorry we are not much help.
Profile Image
In desperation, I occassionaly will tell it to print at 94%. Often shrinking it to 94 makes it fit. Try that on a blank piece of paper and hold it up to the labels. Good Luck, sorry we are not much help.

I do not find anywhere that I can tell it to print at 94% or any other %. Maybe that's on the same $%#^& missing page where I used to tell it not to print to fit the page. : (

But thanks.
Profile Image
My printer prints differently depending on whether I'm printing from a PDF open in a browser, a PDF open in Adobe Reader, or via the system print window.
(Heck, I've even discovered that for some inexplicable reason some prints get messed up if I choose the "fast" printing option to save ink - it then cuts of part of the document.)

These days, when I open a PDF and click the print icon, my computer opens a new PDF print window with a limited number of settings to tweak in a left-side menu bar. But at the very bottom of those I (fortunately) have a small link that says "Print using the system dialogue..." When I click that, I get the usual print window where everything can be tweaked.

Mind you, I'm still on XP, and I have a Canon desk jet, so what I see is most definitely different to what you're seeing. But sometimes some settings are similar, and they just get (annoyingly) reshuffled in new software versions.

So, if you've got two or three different ways to print those labels, try each one, and maybe you'll get lucky.
Profile Image
Thanks for trying, but...

I click on
Download 10 pre-numbered Avery 2x4" Labels - 60 KB

and I am on the screen that doesn't allow me to adjust the printing. I don't know any other way to get to the labels.

Wait, I do. I could also save. And then go back in to print.

Tried that. I saved, then found the download and told it to print. Same thing. No page with any settings to adjust the print size or fit. Just print or don't print. And the printing doesn't fit the labels.
Profile Image
I click on
Download 10 pre-numbered Avery 2x4" Labels - 60 KB

and I am on the screen that doesn't allow me to adjust the printing.

In which program? Have you installed a PDF reader, or is this most likely an integrated part of Windows?
It seems that Win8 does have an integrated PDF reading 'app'. In that case, installing a PDF reader will most likely solve the problem.
Profile Image
is this most likely an integrated part of Windows?

Yup. I guess so.
Profile Image
I never try to print labels on sticky label sheets! Our local stationers sell unperforated A4 sheets, just like it's all one huge label. I print my labels on those and cut them up afterwards!
Profile Image
That's what I do too, but mainly because that way I don't have to buy several different label sizes. One size fits all.
Profile Image
That's what I do too, but mainly because that way I don't have to buy several different label sizes. One size fits all.

Exactly!
Profile Image
I never try to print labels on sticky label sheets! Our local stationers sell unperforated A4 sheets, just like it's all one huge label. I print my labels on those and cut them up afterwards!

I print on full sheets for a lot of front cover labels, but much prefer the precut ones for BCID labels, plus I bought a box of about 250 sheets I think when they were on sale!! So I really need to figure out how to make them fit.

Those are the only two sizes of labels I use, these and the full pages.
Profile Image
If there's a way to circumvent inbuilt Windows features by downloading non-Win software, I always do it. The only Win-supplied programme I actively use is Outlook, and I got stuck with that because I didn't have time to migrate to something else when installing Windows. ;)

Battling with computers can be so exhausting. Good luck!
Profile Image
If there's a way to circumvent inbuilt Windows features by downloading non-Win software, I always do it.

I have NO idea how to do that. As I said it's a new Windows 8 machine and I use Firefox but I have NO idea how to download software and do away with windows.

(I think many of us would like to do away with Windows if we could.)
Profile Image
I have NO idea how to download software and do away with Windows

Oh but you do, after all you know how to download a file (your labels!), and then find them in your computer.
Installing software works the same way: you download a file, find it in your computer and doubleclick on it. Then the installation starts, and you read the messages and tick or untick the boxes as you see fit. That's all. It's a lot like releasing a book!

From then on, if you've allowed it to, the installed program will take over that function (like showing you PDF files) from Windows.
Profile Image
Thank you very much! And the correct name of the program I'm downloading is...?
Profile Image
Oh but you do, after all you know how to download a file (your labels!), and then find them in your computer.

Oh but I don't. I downloaded it and could not find it. Really. I just don't understand this new computer at all.

Fortunately a friend and fellow bookcrosser took pity and came over and downloaded Adobe for me, then she did find FoxIt Reader and deleted it, hooked up my speakers, fixed the computer so it didn't buffer ever 3 seconds when I tried to play a YouTube video, and added virus and spam ware and deleted the trial of Norton it came with. Whew! I can print labels again!!

All set now, except...

I used to use a Windows program called Paint to rotate photos. All my uploads from my phone are upright when I save them and lying down when I upload them here. I looked for Paint but apparently it is a drawing program now.

Is there a free program out there I can use to rotate and change size of pictures on a Windows 8 computer?
Profile Image
I don't have Windows 8, but I did some searching, and apparently there's a new "Fresh Paint" application that may be the drawing program you refer to. You can still get to MS Paint, though; here's a short YouTube tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?...

If you can't view the video, it suggests simply typing "paint", which should bring up an application icon. Or, right-click on a blank space on the main screen, click on "all apps", scroll to the end, and look for the "paint" icon.

However, if all you want to do with your photos is rotate them, the Windows Photo Viewer should do it very easily. If it isn't the default viewer for photos, here's a page describing how to make it the default:

http://www.tomshardware.com/---/switch-default-image-viewer-windows.html

Or you could right-click over the image and select the viewer from the options listed there. I've found the photo viewer handy for the rotation issues, as I can click on the "rotate" icon for each picture and then skip to the next image right away; at least on my computer, the changes are saved by default.

Hope that helps!
Profile Image
Or, right-click on a blank space on the main screen, click on "all apps", scroll to the end, and look for the "paint" icon.

Well, that didn't work as paint didn't show up, but...

I used your second link to learn how to change the default viewer. I ended up using Paint again, as I sometimes used it for more than just rotating, like resizing, and I didn't know if the other option does that as well.

And I just uploaded my first cover image since I got the new computer that came out right side up! So mission accomplished.

Thanks for all your help, GoryDetails, Moem, and all the rest of you helpful BookCrossers. You are great!!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.