corner corner non-ISBN book not found

Forum | << Site Questions: Basic and Advanced | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

non-ISBN book not found

I have a book of short stories that was free with a magazine. It has no ISBN, and there are several books with the same title that bear no resemblance to it whatsoever. Is there any method I can use to register it when the search has failed in this way? I would like to release it at a themed BCers' Meet later this month, so if you CAN help, a speedy response would be very much appreciated. Thanking all you lovely people in anticipation. ;)

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I have a book of short stories that was free with a magazine. It has no ISBN, and there are several books with the same title that bear no resemblance to it whatsoever. Is there any method I can use to register it when the search has failed in this way? I would like to release it at a themed BCers' Meet later this month, so if you CAN help, a speedy response would be very much appreciated. Thanking all you lovely people in anticipation. ;)
Profile Image
Is there any method I can use to register it when the search has failed in this way?

Yup: just hit the 'skip search' button, enter the details by hand, and be on your merry way. Us bookcrossers living in areas with no local version of Amazon used to have to do this all the time, before Google BookSearch was added as a search option; it works just fine.
Profile Image
Oh thank you so much Moem! I do feel a numpty for not spotting that! Book registered and ready to put on its running shoes thanks to your prompt reply.
Profile Image

You're welcome!

I do feel a numpty for not spotting that!

Oh don't worry about it, we all have our moments.

Profile Image
I also have a few books with no ISBN,how can i search them without ISBN?http://www.businessrefinery.com/---/net-isbn.html

I'm a writer, working on a non-fiction book proposal. Finding public, free sales numbers for comparable titles is nearly impossible. BookScan is a subscriber service run by Nielsen. "Above the Treeline" is a subscriber service that collects sales data from some independent book sellers. But I'm looking for reliable services that I could tap into.

Any suggestions?
Profile Image
I also have a few books with no ISBN,how can i search them without ISBN?
That question was answered in the thread.

I'm a writer, working on a non-fiction book proposal. Finding public, free sales numbers for comparable titles is nearly impossible. BookScan is a subscriber service run by Nielsen. "Above the Treeline" is a subscriber service that collects sales data from some independent book sellers. But I'm looking for reliable services that I could tap into.

Any suggestions?
Nope, sorry.
Profile Image
I also have a few books with no ISBN,how can i search them without ISBN?

Any suggestions?

Maybe you can scan the bar codes on books with some bar code scanner app, it will help you find the isbn, did you ever test it?
Profile Image
I imagine that if the book doesn't have an isbn, it won't have a bar code. Both are relatively modern and older books didn't have them.
Profile Image
I found this here http://lookup-isbn.com/faq/

"For educational or instructional videos, the ISBN must appear on the credit titles. The ISBN should also be displayed on any boxes, sleeves or packaging that contains the publication."
Profile Image
"For educational or instructional videos

Yes, but videos aren't BookCrossed, only actual books (including audiobooks).

From the FAQs: "

Q5:

Is it okay to register things that aren't books, like magazines, phone directories, music CDs, DVDs, catalogues, etc?

No, BookCrossing is only for — well, books. Audio books and e-books are okay, as they are forms of books.

Magazines, catalogues, zines and other such things are not usually durable enough to withstand the travels, and frequently, the material is quickly outdated.

Some members choose to register journals that are then filled as they travel.
If it represents an actual, physical book, it can have a BCID. And DVDs are, well, DVDs, not books."

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.