corner corner Start a new zone...

Forum | << Site Questions: Basic and Advanced | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Start a new zone...

I am trying to create a new zone... and, somehow, I do not manage to do it. Could you help me?
Thanks!

Filipa

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I am trying to create a new zone... and, somehow, I do not manage to do it. Could you help me?
Thanks!

Filipa
Profile Image
Hi. Could you provide more information about the zone? Sometimes a new zone *will* be added to the list but may not appear immediately, so it's worthwhile going back to check - and sometimes there are issues with the existing location list that can confuse things. Either way, if you post the country/state/city/zone information you're trying to provide, it'll help with tracking down the problem!
Profile Image
Hey!
Thanks for that!
I checked... nothing in - I had the impression that the problem is really in the form I filled in - I ask to start a new Bookcrossing zone and I am led to create a new identity, which I did... so, I have a new ID for the zone but not the zone, was I clear?... The ID created is "PemT"

I tell you about the zone: I have an development NGO in a town in Portugal. We would like to have, in our headquarters, a BZ. It is POrtugal/Portalegre/Portalegre/Mercado Municipal de Portalegre (in the public Market)/Portalegre em Transição (this is the name of the NGO)

Thanks a million!
Filipa

Profile Image
I think it was the form. I found the new member of Bookcrossing, "PemT", but no zone.

Have you released a book there? Country: Portugal, Province: Portalegre, City: Portelegre? at which point you will be able to create your zone. I tried it with one of my books, but backed out and did not creata a Mercado....
Try it by releasing a book.
Profile Image
I ask to start a new Bookcrossing zone and I am led to create a new identity,

How/where/who did you ask?

A BookCrossing zone is any location where a member has previously released a book. Can be a telephone booth, a park bench, anything.
An Official BookCrossing Zone is a place that's regularly stocked with books. Is that what you are trying to create?

On the website, these are just regular crossing zones, but with an extra sentence in the description showing that this is an Official zone. You create them by releasing a book, adding the wanted zone in the process; a Region Manager or Support volunteer can then mark the location as an Official BookCrossing Zone.

Many, but not all, Official BookCrossing Zones have a specific account (identity) associated wit them. You could use your new account for that.
Profile Image
Great! Thanks - that is really helpful.
I will release the books in the new Bookcrossing zone and then I ask to be made Official... right?
Profile Image
Right! You've got it!
Profile Image
Hello,
I would like my store to become an official Bookcrossing zone. To whom should I send my request. I haven't found an email box associated to my account. Am I supposed to send my request from my private email address?

Furthermore I have registered a new book and asked it to be released in my town, which is Bourg-en-Bresse. I didn't save the release because I thought there would be the possibility to go further down in localizing the book which I want it to be in my store (My Deen).

My question est therefore the same as for Pipapi.

Thanks in advance.
Profile Image
Hi, My_Deen, and welcome! The OBCZ Managers forum ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/27 ) has links in its header information to an OBCZ primer (a bit out of date but still containing helpful questions and info), and the threads in that forum may also be of interest.

I would like my store to become an official Bookcrossing zone. To whom should I send my request. I haven't found an email box associated to my account. Am I supposed to send my request from my private email address?

There isn't an email folder attached to BookCrossing accounts; any Private Messages sent to you by other BCers will arrive in the inbox of the email address you put in your BC profile. (If you send Private Messages to others, you can request a copy-to-self, and those will also appear in your email account.) But to request to have your store's zone listed as an Official BookCrossing Zone, you can use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page, including a link to your release zone.

It's also possible that the support-folk will see your question and give your release zone the OBCZ tag, in which case all you have to do is release books there at regular intervals and post signs in your shop to let people know about BookCrossing, encouraging them to drop off books of their own (whether they want to register them on BookCrossing or not). Good luck!
Profile Image
I thought there would be the possibility to go further down in localizing the book

Yes, there is, but only if you choose the option Wild Release, not Controlled Release.

It's only a Controlled Release if you know in advance who is getting the book, so yours would be a Wild Release. And those can be localised more precisely.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.