corner corner How can you tell where books have gone?

Forum | << Site Questions: Basic and Advanced | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

How can you tell where books have gone?

I've been clicking into the names of all the books released in Dublin, but none seem to have been picked up, or not by anyone who logged on and made a journal entry.

Oh yeah, and the two books I registered earlier didn't show up at all!

Is there any fast way to see whether a book has journal entries by more than one person?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I've been clicking into the names of all the books released in Dublin, but none seem to have been picked up, or not by anyone who logged on and made a journal entry.

Oh yeah, and the two books I registered earlier didn't show up at all!

Is there any fast way to see whether a book has journal entries by more than one person?
Profile Image
When you look at a book on someone's shelf, it tells you the number of people who have journaled that book, just under the line where it tells you who registered the book.

--Cliff1976
Profile Image
hi Malaya,

Your books are only registered, but not released, so they won't show up on the list of released books, until you make a release entry. You do that by clicking on the release book link to the left. As far as I know, there isn't a fast way to see how many journal entries have been made to a book. You either have to go into the link for the book or go to the bookshelf it is from and then it will tell you how many journalers there are for that book. There may be other ways that I don't know. I'm sure if there are someone will let us know!
Profile Image
Ooo. A bit kludgy. I'm getting wristitis from all this clicking clicking clicking from page to page to page to page to page!

Surely registering and releasing a book should be done in one smooth motion? Surely looking at a place where books have been released should give a list of all the books released there, *including* the first journal entry describing the book and a number to indicate whether more journalists have found, caged and re-released the book? Ack!
Profile Image
You wrote: "Surely registering and releasing a book should be done in one smooth motion?"
- Not all books that are registered are immediately released so there are two steps to the process. Many of us have heaps of books registered that are still on our bookshelves, these are often available for book swaps, waiting to be released into the wild or designated as 'keepers'.
If you want to make release notes as soon as you register a book there is a hyperlink on the page that shows up with your new BCID. Just click the link and you can choose the country, state, city etc and the exact location where the book will be released.

You wrote: "Surely looking at a place where books have been released should give a list of all the books released there, *including* the first journal entry describing the book and a number to indicate whether more journalists have found, caged and re-released the book? Ack! "
- On the Go Hunting pages you get a list of all books currently in the wild at those locations - thus the name - Go Hunting....
- If you click on the book it does show you the first journal entry describing the book and all subsequent journal entries. If there is only the initial description and the release notes then it is the first time that the book has been released. If there are numerous journalers and release notes then you can see when the book was released and caught and released again.

If you are looking for books that have travelled q lot then you should have a look at the Leader Boards for Most Travelled Books.
Profile Image
Yes, you can sort by the number of journalers - that is, the number of different people who've made journal entries for the book.
Profile Image
Ah. I suppose when I get used to using the site... after all, it's not a professional site, but done for the love of it, why should I be so narky; sorry.

It would be nice to be able to go to my own country's site and see which books have travelled most, rather than having to click into each one to see what's happened - and usually to find out that it's been left somewhere a month ago, and that's the last heard of it.
Profile Image
OK, I've gone through about half the books released in Ireland, and nary a sign of anyone having picked them up. This isn't really working, is it?
Profile Image
Malaya, that depends on what you mean by this site "working". Is it getting dusty books off bookshelves? Yes. Is it getting those books into the hands of other readers? Apparently, yes. Are the majority of those readers making a journal entry on found books? No. But think of it this way. If you wanted to get a response from sending a "message in a bottle", you'd have to put a lot of bottles in the ocean, but eventually one may find it's way to another person who will take the time to respond. It's very similar here. You have to put a lot of books out there, and then be patient.
Profile Image
Hi Malaya,
actually I think you may be right, it doesn't seem to be working here in Ireland. I am actually originally Italian and in Italy it has been extremely succesfull so much so that in the space of a month there have been more then 3000 new members. But here it seems that people who pick the books up are not going onto the site to post their findings...also I think people may be leaving the books in the wrong places...for instance on buses (they are then left at the lost objects office) or shops (collected by cleaners and thrown out)... I'm about to release my first book in the wild...and I am actually looking on advice on where to live it...I was thinking maybe in a pub (spoilt for choice really!!!)...any idea on how to get this working better in Ireland? Babstar
Profile Image
I was thinking about this too, Babstar. I left one in a park, two on a wall, gave one to an acquaintance ("That's incredibly nerdy - go to a website and talk about it?" he said).

I thought the best places would be (a) places where people are dying for something to read, like airports or bus or train stations, and (b) places where people are travelling and so don't want to be loaded down with books. And maybe (c) places where foreigners are, so the books might travel with them.
Profile Image
Hi Malaya,
Also no one really knows what it's all about...I am trying to spread the word by telling everyone I know about it. I was hoping to find one before I get to release some, just to see if it works. Maybe we should try and get a forum starting with people here in Ireland who are interested... I think airports/parks and so on are good places to leave them, but I think places like shopping centers aren't because like I said cleaners collect them and throw them out on a regular basis...hopefully something gets moving here...but hey, Iknow this is totally against the rules but the next one I release we can agree on where I leave it and see if you can collect it...what do you think?

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.