corner corner What are the long-term marketing plans for Bookcrossing.com?

Forum | << Site Questions: Basic and Advanced | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

What are the long-term marketing plans for Bookcrossing.com?

Don't get me wrong, I think this website is great... but I listened to the NPR broadcast and wondered what was meant by the references to the long-term marketing plans for the site? Does anyone know?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Don't get me wrong, I think this website is great... but I listened to the NPR broadcast and wondered what was meant by the references to the long-term marketing plans for the site? Does anyone know?
Profile Image
BookCrossing.com isn't free to keep running, and as it grows, it will require more and more resources (i.e. money) to keep it going. Currently, our software company, Humankind Systems, is paying the bills. But BookCrossing is only approaching 10,000 members. When we have 100,000 to 500,000 members (not that far off), we'll need a dedicated staff, and dozens more servers, and extreme bandwidth and storage requirements, etc. etc. So if we don't plan *now* on ways to "monetize" the site, whether that's from publishers, or a corporate sponsor, or additional merchandise sales, etc., then we're doing our current membership, which expects this site to run forever, a disservice. We've made the decision that BookCrossing is FREE and ALWAYS WILL BE for the members - and the flip side of that coin is that we must find other sources of revenue. And that means marketing, long-term. Which I hope, in a round-about way, answers your question. :)

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.