corner corner The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)

Forum | << Based on the Book: Books to Movies | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)

Some days ago I read the first of the lotr books.. I believed that I would love this book.. I've watched the movies and I consider them as one of my favourites.. I watch the again and again almost every year...
HOWEVER!
What a big disappointment! I actually got bored! Every few pages I read some childish poems/songs! I couldn't stand it..! I also didn't like Tolkien's descriptions..He analyses everything so much..! And...? What about some characters...?For example..what was the point of the hobbits' meeting with with the farmer and Tom Bombadil??
I didn't like this book at all.. :( I'm really disappointed.. :(
What's your opinion about the book?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Some days ago I read the first of the lotr books.. I believed that I would love this book.. I've watched the movies and I consider them as one of my favourites.. I watch the again and again almost every year...
HOWEVER!
What a big disappointment! I actually got bored! Every few pages I read some childish poems/songs! I couldn't stand it..! I also didn't like Tolkien's descriptions..He analyses everything so much..! And...? What about some characters...?For example..what was the point of the hobbits' meeting with with the farmer and Tom Bombadil??
I didn't like this book at all.. :( I'm really disappointed.. :(
What's your opinion about the book?
Profile Image
Heh! Yeah, the book's a different experience than the films. I did enjoy the movies, but I kept kvetching that they left out some of my favorite bits - but putting them in would have turned it into at least a five-part series.

I did read the books long before the movies were a gleam in anyone's eye, and I adored them (comments here: https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14244208/ ), not least for the detailed world-building and hints at a much larger history. I loved all the bits about the hobbits and their community and friends - Farmer Maggot and his long-standing feud with those rascally teen-hobbits, always filching his mushrooms... I found it hilarious, and it made it all the more dramatic at the end when (spoiler!) the returning hobbits had to help their neighbors throw off the nasty overlords who were despoiling the Shire.

But, hey, if it hasn't grabbed you so far, you can safely skip the rest of the trilogy {wry grin}.
Profile Image
I agree with you about Tolkien's world.. That's why I believe that perhaps the Silmarillion would be more suitable for me! 🌛
Profile Image
It is a wonderful story for children. I agree with the opinion that he created elvish and others languages, but i disagree with the opinion "The father of fantasy". I call him The father of hobbits!
The silmarillion is the Tolkien's notes and I liked me better than lotr, but you must be patient.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.