corner corner 100 Books to read before they're films

Forum | << Based on the Book: Books to Movies | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

100 Books to read before they're films

The list Pop Sugar posted 1/18/18:

https://www.popsugar.com/---/Books-Made-Movies-List-32193133

Some repeats and some new ones. The only book on the list I've read since I posted last year was Ready Player One. So now I'm looking forward to that movie. Otherwise I'm still looking forward to the ones I mentioned before (Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, Devil in the White City, The Nightingale, Six Years, Bel Canto.)

Any recommendations?
(I'm still trying to decide if I should read the Night Circus.)

Complete Thread

Profile Image
The list Pop Sugar posted 1/18/18:

https://www.popsugar.com/---/Books-Made-Movies-List-32193133

Some repeats and some new ones. The only book on the list I've read since I posted last year was Ready Player One. So now I'm looking forward to that movie. Otherwise I'm still looking forward to the ones I mentioned before (Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, Devil in the White City, The Nightingale, Six Years, Bel Canto.)

Any recommendations?
(I'm still trying to decide if I should read the Night Circus.)
Profile Image
Thanks for posting this. My friend and I pick pick out a book to read and then watch the movie (theater/DVD) together every month.
This year’s planned books are (so far):

Forever My Girl
Ophelia
Annilation
Every Day
Red Sparrow
A Wrinkle In Time
Where’d You Go, Bernadette?
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
Crazy Rich Asians
The Girl in the Spider’s Web

I read the Night Circus and enjoyed it and I hope they can do the book justice. If you like fantasy books, then this book is for you.
Profile Image
I'm surprised by how many of these I've never even heard of.

I've read:
Every Day
Looking for Alaska
Dune
A Wrinkle in Time
In the Garden of Beasts
The Grapes of Wrath
Junius and Albert’s Adventures in the Confederacy
James and the Giant Peach
A Confederacy of Dunces
The Devil in the White City

On my TBR pile:
Annihilation
Ready Player One
Americanah

Junius and Albert’s Adventures in the Confederacy could be a very good film. Confederacy of Dunces and Devil in the White City, too.

I'm not sure how I feel about the remakes of Dune, James and the Giant Peach, and Grapes of Wrath.

I think The Secret is a dumb premise for a film. Also a dumb premise in general.
Profile Image
I have read 19 from the list and the ones I am most interested in seeing in film are:
Bel Canto
The Goldfinch
Secret Daughter
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle

I am doubtful if the magic of The Night Circus will translate into film but I really liked the book and I'm not a big fan of magical realism.

I am just about to read The Nightingale so it might be interesting to see a movie when I'm done. I also want to read East of Eden and Birdsong.

As an aside am I the only one who noticed that Reese Witherspoon seems to be involved in an inordinate number of these film projects. Either she is the hard workingest person in show biz or she options every book she reads and then only makes one or two.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.