corner corner Ready Player One

Forum | << Based on the Book: Books to Movies | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Ready Player One

Just read this book, and heard Steven Speilberg's doing the movie, coming out in 2018. It's going to be a great movie, I bet! I loved the book.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Just read this book, and heard Steven Speilberg's doing the movie, coming out in 2018. It's going to be a great movie, I bet! I loved the book.
Profile Image
Yeah, I'm looking forward to that one - I enjoyed the book a lot ( https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13049063/ ).

The TV Tropes page on the film ( http://tvtropes.org/---/ReadyPlayerOne2018 ) mentions some of the adaptations that had to made due to legal compications; I just hope this doesn't apply to some of my favorite shout-outs!
Profile Image
I watched the teaser...and forced myself to not watch the trailer so I could kind of be surprised. And yes...I'm SURE there were legal complications. BTW, I was pretty proud of myself...in the book, I guessed part of one clue...I figured he was referring to Cap'n Crunch! I seem to remember that they spelled it wrong (Captain). I could be wrong, but I can't find it in the book now. Just a useless fact I felt the need to share LOL
Profile Image
Think it'll be a great movie but a lot different from the book. Have a hunch that the film won't have time and energy to build up the feeling of the Oasis-society in the same scale as the book does.
Fingers crossed that it will be a good movie!
Profile Image
Update: saw this one yesterday - in 3D yet, something I don't usually bother with. (It isn't essential to enjoying the movie, but it was used better here than in many films.) The adaptation did mess with some stuff from the book, including removing one of my favorite bits (though there was some graffiti homage on the heroes' van), but I liked some of the changes and could accept the rest. And I had fun playing spot-the-references against the friend I saw it with; I won on all the "The Shining" bits (that was hilarious, btw) and he won big on recognizing the magic phrase that activated the orb.
Profile Image
I really liked the novel. Under the icing of all the nostalgic references, there is a solid coming of age quest, with a very relevant theme of reality vs fantasy.

The movie was very good too. Obviously more action than researching, and naturally a condensed timeline (I loved how the school planet was featured in the book but ok). The Shining section kind of annoyed me actually. I get why they chose it, but it doesn't seem very Halliday to me. The rest was so good I can forgive them though haha. will definitely watch again for references.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.