corner corner American Gods mini-series airing on US cable this month:

Forum | << Based on the Book: Books to Movies | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

American Gods mini-series airing on US cable this month:

http://www.imdb.com/---/combined

I've been seeing ads on TV and it looks pretty good - though I admit it's one of the Gaiman works I haven't read yet, mainly because I've tended to love his short stories and graphic novels while finding his novels less entertaining. But I may try and read this one before the mini-series starts.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
http://www.imdb.com/---/combined

I've been seeing ads on TV and it looks pretty good - though I admit it's one of the Gaiman works I haven't read yet, mainly because I've tended to love his short stories and graphic novels while finding his novels less entertaining. But I may try and read this one before the mini-series starts.
Profile Image
I read the book a long time ago and enjoyed it. I've been trying to decide if I want to watch the mini-series or not . (I've been trying to watch less TV.)
Profile Image
I read the book a long time ago and enjoyed it. I've been trying to decide if I want to watch the mini-series or not . (I've been trying to watch less TV.)

I've been trying to decide whether to watch or not because I'm not sure if this book actually can translate well to TV. But, then again, it's been ages since I read it so if the series turns out to be a flop, it won't actually ruin the book for me. Plus, I liked the book, but it was not as enthralling as some other Gaiman's works.

Okay, I guess that settles it then, I'll watch! ;)
Profile Image
Loved the book! Hopefully it will be available in Europe soon.
Profile Image
It just did not grab me. Rarely does it happen that I don't sit through an episode of something once I start watching, but episode 1 of American Gods was just too drawn out for my taste. I know they had to set the scene and introduce the characters, but still...

Perhaps I'll give it a go some other time, but for now I'm satisfied to let this one go. (Unbelievably, as I'm a big Gaiman fan.)
Profile Image
I read the book, but it took me forever to slog through it and it didn't make me want to ready anything else by Gaiman. So I wasn't thinking about watching the miniseries. But I just read a little blurb about it yesterday that mentioned Kristen Chenoweth is in it, and I absolutely adore her. So now I'm considering...
Profile Image
I've been enjoying it - while reading the book at the same time! Some segments of the series are perfect adaptations of the book, while others took some liberties, and there are rearrangements of some scenes as well, but overall I like it. (I do find that, in both book and TV show, I prefer the vignettes from past times - the "coming to America" bits - to the main story-arc, but I like that too.)
Profile Image
I've been enjoying it - while reading the book at the same time! Some segments of the series are perfect adaptations of the book, while others took some liberties(...)
I watched an interview with Gaiman in which he said that because the book was published prior to his current level of fame, which allows him to be more in control of his texts, he was made to whittle down a much larger piece of work that was then published as American Gods. He said he enjoyed working on the series, as it allowed him to introduce into the series parts which he had to omit in the book.

I read the book, but it took me forever to slog through it and it didn't make me want to ready anything else by Gaiman.
I'm glad that the first book of his I got a hold of was Neverwhere. It got me totally hooked on his writing. American Gods possibly would not have had such and effect. It is by far the slowest read and least interesting of his works for me.
He definitely isn't everyone's cup of tea.
Neverwhere was my all time favourite book for a long while, but recently it was overthrown by The Ocean At The End Of The Lane. Quite atypical of his opus.
Profile Image

Sigh.

Sometimes I actually do wish I had cable, for things like this..and Hap & Leonard...and so on. ;)

And then I realize that I watch enough TV without it. :p

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.