corner corner Still Alice

Forum | << Based on the Book: Books to Movies | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Still Alice

The adaptation of Lisa Genova's novel of the same name. I read the book and was riveted from the first page. At first, I wasn't sure I wanted to see a film version, wasn't sure it could do justice to such a powerful story. But everything I am hearing about it is positive. Although only just released, it is already gaining honours and high praise. One such review has said they hope this film does for Alzheimer's what *Philadelphia* did for AIDS.

I hope to see it this weekend. Has anyone here seen it yet?

Complete Thread

Profile Image

Still Alice

The adaptation of Lisa Genova's novel of the same name. I read the book and was riveted from the first page. At first, I wasn't sure I wanted to see a film version, wasn't sure it could do justice to such a powerful story. But everything I am hearing about it is positive. Although only just released, it is already gaining honours and high praise. One such review has said they hope this film does for Alzheimer's what *Philadelphia* did for AIDS.

I hope to see it this weekend. Has anyone here seen it yet?
Profile Image
No but I too really enjoyed the book.
Profile Image
I have seen the movie accompanied by our daughter who had not read the book so her take was interesting.
I had totally enjoyed the book, participating in a BC bookring and recommending it to other readers right, left and center. It dealt with the development of Alzheimers in a powerful, sensitive and caring manner and IMHO would give some hope to caregivers or close relatives in a way that would be useful in helping onlookers to cope with the situation. Quite how it would have been perceived by someone who was actually trying to cope with the condition themselves I don't know.
I thought the movie made a good attempt to bring the book to life although I think it short changed the husband who really, in the book, made a magnificent effort to cope with the changing situation. However, it tailed off in the last 1/4 of the movie and I emerged very disappointed. Such a wasted opportunity.
Our daughter certainly enjoyed the movie but said that it tailed off towards the end.
I hope she will read the book now because IMHO it had useful messages that she might need if I succumb to that hideous condition. My own mother had dementia - never actually given a name by the medicos - so I know just how awful it can be for onlookers and carers. My mother was hundreds of Ks distance and in care so I saw her infrequently, with despair. My two brothers lived nearby and bore the brunt of it.
So there you are jessibud. I wonder if you have now seen the film and what you thought.
Profile Image
No, I haven't seen it yet though my mother did and said that she felt it was very true to the book and done well. I have always been somewhat reluctant to see a movie adaptation of a book I found great because almost without exception (though there are a few), I end up feeling disappointed. I am still not sure if I will see this one.
Profile Image
While I thought it was quite well-done, 2 of the actors (Alec Baldwin and Kristen Stewart) are two who I have never liked so that was a bit off-putting for me from the beginning. I thought Julianne Moore was excellent, however and very deserving of the Oscar she won for this role. It felt a little disjointed to me in some parts but I think that might have bothered me more if I hadn't read the book first.

This is probably just a little nit-picky quirk of mine but did anyone else notice that Moore (as herself or as Alice, I am not sure), was left-handed at the beginning of the film (when she was writing vocabulary words on the blackboard in her kitchen, it was with the left hand), but by the end, she was writing with her right hand. I am going to skim back through the book but I don't remember this as a detail of Lisa Genova's original story and am not sure if this was intentional.

Overall, I thought the film was good but I am happy that I read the book first.
Profile Image
on board an aircraft but much preferred the book as the movie didn't touch me in the same way.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.