corner corner The Giver

Forum | << Based on the Book: Books to Movies | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

The Giver

It seems like Hollywood has screwed up yet another adaptation. From what I seen and heard about the previews....

They aged the main characters from 12 to 16...just so Fiona can be Jonas's love interest.
It looks like they are making it into a teen action romance Hunger Games/Divergent ripoff! It is a depressing drama NOT a love story!

Complete Thread

Profile Image

The Giver

It seems like Hollywood has screwed up yet another adaptation. From what I seen and heard about the previews....

They aged the main characters from 12 to 16...just so Fiona can be Jonas's love interest.
It looks like they are making it into a teen action romance Hunger Games/Divergent ripoff! It is a depressing drama NOT a love story!
Profile Image
It's been years since I read the book, but when I first saw a preview for the movie I felt like nothing in it reminded me of The Giver at all.
Profile Image
I'm glad I'm not the only one. After seeing the preview, I thought, "Wait a second, I swear I read this book. Do I not remember anything?"
Profile Image

I know!

I certainly don't remember police, motorbikes, hovercraft and kissing teenagers in the book! I hope this movie bombs.
Profile Image
An article with descriptions of the changes made between the book and the movie. Spoilers ahoy: http://www.slate.com/---/the_giver_movie_s_differences_from_the_book_how_it_compares_to_the_lois.html
Profile Image
The book to me was very meh.
Profile Image

Agree

Caught about 10 minutes on television but switched off in disgust

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.