corner corner The Secret Life of Bees

Forum | << Based on the Book: Books to Movies | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

The Secret Life of Bees

I am just finishing up listening to the audiobook version (unabridged) of this amazing book. It was read by an actress named Jenna Lamia. I had never heard of her before but she had me so mesmerized, I could scarcely leave my car, just didn't want to stop listening. She simply IS Lily Owens.

I had wondered if there had ever been a movie made from this book and if so, if she would play Lily. So I googled and found the author's website, which is a great read, too, by the way! http://www.suemonkkidd.com/---/Author.aspx

Anyhow, I did find out that there is a film and though Jenna Lamia is not in it, the cast looks good. So, I am wondering if anyone here has seen it and can offer a recommendation. The audiobook was 8 discs, unabridged but obviously, the movie can't be that long and so would have to be *adapted*. After loving the book so much, I hesitate to see someone else's vision of it. Does it do the book justice? Is it worthwhile to try to find it and rent it?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I am just finishing up listening to the audiobook version (unabridged) of this amazing book. It was read by an actress named Jenna Lamia. I had never heard of her before but she had me so mesmerized, I could scarcely leave my car, just didn't want to stop listening. She simply IS Lily Owens.

I had wondered if there had ever been a movie made from this book and if so, if she would play Lily. So I googled and found the author's website, which is a great read, too, by the way! http://www.suemonkkidd.com/Author.aspx

Anyhow, I did find out that there is a film and though Jenna Lamia is not in it, the cast looks good. So, I am wondering if anyone here has seen it and can offer a recommendation. The audiobook was 8 discs, unabridged but obviously, the movie can't be that long and so would have to be *adapted*. After loving the book so much, I hesitate to see someone else's vision of it. Does it do the book justice? Is it worthwhile to try to find it and rent it?
Profile Image
was satisfied with the movie. The book is so complex, that to try to encompass all of the details would have been a disaster. So they didn't. Good movie, not great, but with a good solid cast.
Profile Image
Thanks. That sounds like it's worthwhile to see if I can find it.
Profile Image

Link

Share the link to hear the audiobook version of this book with me too.
Profile Image

RE: Link

There is no link. The audiobook is a set of disks borrowed from the library. Well worth it!
Profile Image
though it's in my TBR pile, but I did see the movie when it came out, and I really enjoyed it. The cast were all quite good.
Profile Image
I loved the book, which I read just recently. Will have to track down the movie.
Profile Image
I loved the book, which I read just recently. Will have to track down the movie.

I finished the book this morning and will do as you :-)

Profile Image
The movie was satisfying. I had read the book several years before, though - it is possible that seeing the movie right after the book would be more difficult, with so many details and nuances still in your head.

Glad it was a good listen!
Profile Image
I read the book first then saw the movie. In my opinion the book was so much better, but I would watch the movie again.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.