corner corner The Great Gatsby

Forum | << Based on the Book: Books to Movies | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

The Great Gatsby

In order to refresh my memory, I just re-read The Great Gatsby in preparation for this new release.

It was my privilege to attend an advance screening last night and I LOVED it. Two thumbs up. The images from my mind played out so true on the screen. The costuming was opulent - I wanted to watch the first half in slow motion.

Leonardo DiCaprio was exquisite as Gatsby - playing out such a range of emotions with his usual gift.

I was very impressed with this newest tribute to such a classic story. I hope you love it as much as I did.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
In order to refresh my memory, I just re-read The Great Gatsby in preparation for this new release.

It was my privilege to attend an advance screening last night and I LOVED it. Two thumbs up. The images from my mind played out so true on the screen. The costuming was opulent - I wanted to watch the first half in slow motion.

Leonardo DiCaprio was exquisite as Gatsby - playing out such a range of emotions with his usual gift.

I was very impressed with this newest tribute to such a classic story. I hope you love it as much as I did.
Profile Image
I last read it at school and LOVED the book. However when I saw the movie with Robert Redford in the main part I very disappointed. He was very, very, VERY miscast. I can't say that strongly enough, as I hated that movie because of him playing the part. I thought Mia Farrow was good in her part though. Normally I liked Robert Redford and didn't like Mia Farrow, so shows what I thought of their casting. I pictured Gatsby as being tall and dark haired, not chunky and blond like Robert Redford.
It will be interesting when I re-read this book (a bookray) if I still like the book as much, and what I think of Leonardo DiCaprio as Gatsby, when I eventually see this movie. Do I still need Gatsby to be tall and dark haired?
Profile Image
I just watched the movie tonight, I had read the book previously. The movie is certainly opulent, and beautifully staged and shot. But I think I wasn't in the mood for a movie because it dragged a bit.
The actors are good, Isla Fisher plays the mistress and is wonderful, and Leonardo was a wonderful Gatsby. I guess there is always the hope of a happy ending, instead of the tragedy that you know is coming.
Profile Image
I read the book years ago and saw the movie in the 1970's. I recently saw the new release and thought Leonardo DiCaprio was excellent in the role of Gatsby. However, I much prefer the version that came out in the 70's with Mia Farrow and Robert Redford. I decided to watch that version again after seeing the new release. I got much more of the feel of the time period from the older version than the new one, and I thought Mia Farrow was stunning as Daisy. The new version was a bit too over the top for me.
Profile Image

Disagree

I think this a terribly over rated book and the Baz Luhrman movie eek the previews turned me off Strictly Ballroom in the 1920's

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.