corner corner Worst Book-Based-Movies Ever Made

Forum | << Based on the Book: Books to Movies | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Worst Book-Based-Movies Ever Made

Have you watched book-based-movies that you can definitely give an award for being " The Worst Book-Based-Movie Ever Made"? Share and nominate it!

Personally, I would nominate the movie "Congo" (the book is made by Michael Crichton) for being the worst book-based-movie ever made. Not just because it did not capture the heart pounding essence of the book, it was very loosely based on the book. For me, it shamed the book's great story and reputation. It was simply awful.

How about you? Do you have some movies to nominate?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Have you watched book-based-movies that you can definitely give an award for being " The Worst Book-Based-Movie Ever Made"? Share and nominate it!

Personally, I would nominate the movie "Congo" (the book is made by Michael Crichton) for being the worst book-based-movie ever made. Not just because it did not capture the heart pounding essence of the book, it was very loosely based on the book. For me, it shamed the book's great story and reputation. It was simply awful.

How about you? Do you have some movies to nominate?
Profile Image
It only had a slight similarity to the book. I think an AWFUL movie. What Wikipedia says:

"Relationship to novel
The film retained some basic plot elements from Wyndham's novel, but it was not a particularly faithful adaptation. "It strays significantly and unnecessarily from the book and is less well regarded than the BBC's intelligent (if dated) 1981 TV serial."[2] Unlike the novel, the Triffids arrive as spores in an earlier meteor shower, and some of the action is moved to Spain. Most seriously, it supplies a simplistic solution to the Triffid problem: salt water dissolves them, and "the world was saved". This different ending appears to be closer to the ending of The War of the Worlds than Wyndham's novel, as the invading aliens succumb to a common product of Earth (as the Martians died of bacteria) and both end with a religious tone. This ending was also used to similar effect in M. Night Shyamalan's Signs."
Profile Image
Loved the Susan Isaacs book; loathed the Melanie Griffith/Michael Douglas film. Would have loathed the film even if I had never read the book. It was That Bad.
Profile Image
Interesting. I loved both the book and the movie.
Profile Image
I nominate The Agony and the Ecstasy. The book was about Michelangelo's entire life; the movie was about the painting of the Sistine Chapel.

I, Robot also had little more in common with the book than the three laws of robotics (which were subsequently ignored) and a couple character names.

Side note: The Ring/Ringu deviated widely from the novel, but they were so much *better* than the book that I can't really call them poor adaptations. :)
Profile Image
Dear John by Nicholas Sparks. It wasn't like the book at all and they changed the ending.
Profile Image
The movie was based on the first three books in the series, and it was just horrible. It was the first movie my daughter watched where she had already read the books, and she was bitterly disappointed in it and complained throughout about things that were changed. I told her to expect that with any book to movie adaptation, but I still had to agree with her that the movie was just awful.
Profile Image
Yes, I totally agree! Loved the books, hated the movie.
Profile Image
Oooh. I hadn't even thought of that one and now I can't think of much else! You are so right. The movie was terrible. I thought it was well cast (except for Jim Carrey, whom I can't stand) and had a nice look but the script was awful...

I feel the same about the Percy Jackson movie (I see that foxy737 mentioned it too). Good grief - where did they get that plot? It doesn't match the book at all.

I'm sure there are others! And there are some that I won't even watch because I'm so afraid the movies will be worse than the books (Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, Time Traveler's Wife, etc.)
Profile Image
For some reason, I liked the movie. The books got on my nerves after a while.
Profile Image
I saw the movie before reading the books and I really liked it. I loved Jim Carrey as Count Olaf, I thought he was perfect for the role =) I have since read the books and although enjoyable, I don't think they are all that, sorry to any fans. I am still reading through the series so can't comment on them all, but I find them a bit repetitive so can't read them too close together.
Profile Image
I was sooooo excited to watch the movie... am a big Robin Williams fan. Bought and read the book 2 days before the movie came out in DVD, stayed up all night watching the movie and was terribly disappointed. Loved the book hated the movie. They changed the beginning and pretty much the whole story... I don't know, I found the movie too "dark".
Profile Image
really need to check out the book, since I loved the movie
Profile Image
Recently finished the book and gave it 5 stars but then I watched the film and was more than disappointed there were whole sections of the book missing, characters that never appeared and even sections of film that never happened in the book the film was rubbish in comparison to the book. It is such a shame as I bet it has put loads of people off reading the book set. Watching the film made it look as though the producers had read one page and then skipped 20 pages all the way through the book then made up the rest.
Profile Image
Yeah, that's true, the film is like another universe...but the second one is worse, trust me!
The charakters changed, they even took another actress for Annabeth (or at least her haircolor changed...) and nothing's right...I mean, Cronos...in the secind book/film...honestly?
Profile Image
They changed it completely. If they had stuck to the plot, they could of had a couple of films out of it. Hope someone remakes it one day.

The Golden Compass - Amazing books but thanks to the film being awful we won't get to see the rest of them :(
Profile Image
The Golden Compass - Amazing books but thanks to the film being awful we won't get to see the rest of them

I liked the first two, but I thought the third book had so many logic flaws (and a blatant agenda) I questioned whether there was a different editor or someone who assisted the author with the first two books didn't with the third. I think I might have scored the third book 2 stars. One of the most important things in a book for me is logic.
Profile Image

Eragon

I didn't like the book that much, but the movie was so horrible I didn't even bother to watch it till the ending.
Profile Image
Me too, after ten minutes of watching, I honestly asked myself why I was watching this bullshit at all. I like the books, though, which means it was worse for me but I totally agree with your opinion about the film. They changed almost everything, it's a miracle they didn't change the subject completely!
Profile Image
In the book, the author shared dry wit and an often humorous take on many of his tragic experiences growing up poor, in Irelend.

The movie lost all of this and was just very bleak!
Profile Image
I read the book first as sister made me and didnt think there would be a movie out about it for a while, so a year later the movie comes out WRONG WRONG WRONG, its nothing like the book half the actors looked more like wooden poles that people, the acting was terrible even the CGI was pig awful thats what annoyed me the most
Profile Image
I read the book first as sister made me and didnt think there would be a movie out about it for a while, so a year later the movie comes out WRONG WRONG WRONG, its nothing like the book half the actors looked more like wooden poles that people, the acting was terrible even the CGI was pig awful thats what annoyed me the most

I haven't read the book, but my sister is one of the die hard twifans, she loved all the books. She loves the movies also, but she hates Kristen Stewart and thinks she is a horrible actress and totally wrong for the part, but that fortunately (to her) the rest of the cast make up for it.
Profile Image
I read somewhere that this one of the really worst movie. In fact, Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn is regarded as the Worst Movie of the Year. Wow. That sucks, right?
Profile Image
I read somewhere that this one of the really worst movie. In fact, Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn is regarded as the Worst Movie of the Year. Wow. That sucks, right?

The last movie got
Worst actress
Worst supporting actor
Worst director
Worst Film
Worst sequel

The list goes on
Profile Image
Haha. Yeah right.
Profile Image
Yup its true lol look it up on the internet
Profile Image
Poor Stephanie Meyer. Her masterpiece became trash when it became a movie.
Profile Image
Oooh, it was soooo horrible to watch this movie!
I mean, I'm not that great of a fan but...Edward looked just...wrong!
Profile Image
Tuck Everlasting (2002). They aged Winnie by five years so she and Jesse can spend most of the movie making goo goo eyes at each other. The book was NOT a freaking love story!

Ella Enchanted. They take all of the charm and intelligence out of Ella and the story and make a live action Shrek wannabe.

Tales from Earthsea. I hear this is terible and NOTHING like the books.
Profile Image
Noticed comment above about twilight casting wrong person for role along the same idea what about Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher it was the first thing my mum said when they announced the film coming out "Jack Reacher should be 6ft 2" how can he be played by Tom Cruise"
Now wrong person cast in role that could be a whole new thread....
Profile Image
start one, it would be a fun threat to have
Profile Image
An all time favorite of mine turned into such a bad shallow movie losing all the essence of the book. If it wasn't for the appearance of the Lady Chablis would have been a one star but she lifted it to three.
Profile Image
I second you on that one... It was so sad and I was in love with that book!
Profile Image
Since in the other thread "Best book to movie translations" my favorit book was mantioned twice as being worse than the movie, I just had to post here ;-)

The movie "The Princess Bride" is not the worst book-based-movie. It is a nice movie, but it has hardly anything to do with the book and I think it is nothing compared to the book. Morgenstern is missing and therefore the main clue of the whole construct!!!
The book is funny and wise and ironic and hilarious. And the movie is nice.
Profile Image

the shooter

Love the book. All the stuff that's briljant in the book was skipped in the movie.
Mark Wahlberg was a great choice though
Profile Image
Loved the books! but both movies were so terrible that I was heartbroken.
Profile Image
I don't know why I saw the movie because I didn't like the book. How it became a best seller is beyond me. The movie was more awful than the book.
Profile Image
The movie was more awful than the book.

Is that possible!?
Profile Image
I actually really liked the book but only saw the trailer for the film and refused to see the actual movie. For one thing, Daryl Hannah in the main role, put me off right away. She can't act, in my opinion, and I didn't want the story ruined for me, so that was that!
Profile Image
OK maybe not THE worst, just I rewatched it recently and thought I'd share my opinion. I felt that the film lost the struggle of the characters trying to break the puzzles which was pictured very well in the book. Instead the film showed as if Tom Hanks was this amazing person who just figures things out on the spot
Profile Image
OK maybe not THE worst, just I rewatched it recently and thought I'd share my opinion. I felt that the film lost the struggle of the characters trying to break the puzzles which was pictured very well in the book. Instead the film showed as if Tom Hanks was this amazing person who just figures things out on the spot
Profile Image
I am Number Four. I saw the movie yesterday, but I had to quit because the movie decided to kill one of the characters at the wrong time, at the wrong place and because of the wrong reason....and the main actor looked like 20 instead of a teenager, but maybe I'm getting to old to see the difference :P
Profile Image

The Giver

I have not seen this...and I never will...but they turned a powerful and devasting story into a teen action romance Divergent wannabe!
Profile Image
I really enjoyed this biting novel by Tom Wolfe. Luckily I was watched the movie on DVD and didn't pay to see this rubbish badly miscast for starters I turned after after 20 minutes a real stinker
Profile Image
they madea big mistake for making a movie.... the movie was NOWHERE NEAR the book it was AWFUL
Profile Image
I'd like to nominate the movie "ella enchated".
I love gail carson levine, but the movie was just plain tacky compared to the original story.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.