corner corner Sookie Stackhouse books/movies

Forum | << Based on the Book: Books to Movies | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Sookie Stackhouse books/movies

Not sure if this has been talk about, but what do you think of the Sookie Stackhouse book series to the movies? I actually find the books kind of bland. The thing is that the books, the characters aren't really that developed, but yet I feel in the HBO series, the characters have many layers to them.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Not sure if this has been talk about, but what do you think of the Sookie Stackhouse book series to the movies? I actually find the books kind of bland. The thing is that the books, the characters aren't really that developed, but yet I feel in the HBO series, the characters have many layers to them.
Profile Image

True Blood!

The tv show is much better! I started watching it first so I don't know if that makes any difference. I like the books but they sometimes feel quiet cheesy. I'm glad they dropped Elvis!
Profile Image
I've only read five of the books so far, but I'm really enjoying them, especially books 4 and 5. I don't get HBO though, so I haven't seen the TV series yet.
Profile Image

True Blood?

I watched the first two seasons and gave up. I started reading the books where there were 2 of them and were called "A Southern Vampire Mystery"--and I was hooked. I like them a lot, but the HBO stuff? Not so much. I do not find the books "bland" nor do I find the characters "un-developed" And I liked Elvis!
Profile Image
I like them both, but I feel that the last few books have been made just cause they will sell. After the first season of True Blood they really started to veer away from the plots of the books and things get weirder, but the characters have more depth. I recently found out the next book due in May 2013 will be the 13th book and will be the last.
Profile Image
I liked both TV and books but you had to see them as very different things and not one and the same. HBO veered too far away from the original that True Blood became a very different beast to the Southern Vampire Mysteries.

Yes the books could be a bit twee and cheesy at times, but then the TV show meant that some characters turned into HBOs vacuous vehicles to add yet more sex because it wasn't raunchy enough for them. I'm thinking Jason and Eric here. I like Bubba in the books but I don't think he'd have translated well to a vampire Elvis on screen.

If anyone is interested I recently dug the first 10 books and a collection of short stories and have registered them to send out as a rays http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/528345

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.