What is your favorite Christmas movie?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
What is your favorite Christmas movie?
Profile Image
THE POLAR EXPRESS with Tom Hanks !

Profile Image
THE POLAR EXPRESS with Tom Hanks !

For some reason, I find The Polar Express kind of depressing.
Profile Image
A Christmas Carol ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/6667531/ ) has been adapted for film too many times to count, and while some of the attempts weren't all that successful I've found that I enjoy a good many; my favorites include the early Alistair Sim version, a more recent George C. Scott version, the dark-humor Bill Murray version Scrooged!, and (ready?) Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol {grin}. (The very recent Disney CGI version starring Jim Carrey was pretty good too - except for the bit where Scrooge gets shrunk to mouse-size; that bit keeps it off my "favorite" list, though the Andrea Bocelli song "God Bless Us Every One" almost makes up for it.)

There's a decent screen adaptation of Hogfather ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10057114/ ) that I enjoyed enough to get the DVD {wry grin}.

Despite its gazillion re-airings, I'm still fond of It's A Wonderful Life - which, I was somewhat surprised to learn, is based on a short story, though the plot summary of the story shows that the film expanded on the theme quite a bit.

How the Grinch Stole Christmas - the cartoon version voiced by Boris Karloff, *not* the updated Jim Carrey vehicle - is another favorite, one that I happily watch whenever it's aired.

The Bishop's Wife is another favorite - I prefer the Cary Grant version but the remake, The Preacher's Wife, has its points. I only discovered the novel that it's based on fairly recently, and was intrigued to find that the novel is really quite bleak; the adaptation takes the basic idea and trots off in a very different direction. If I'd read the book first I wouldn't have recognized the film version!

It's hard to choose one absolute favorite, but I'm tempted to claim We're No Angels, a delightful film (based on a play) about three convicts on Devil's Island attempting to escape - doesn't sound seasonal? Well, it is - and the comedic turns by Humphrey Bogart, Aldo Ray, and Peter Ustinov (not to mention Adolf!) are hilarious.
Profile Image
Don't *ever* watch the colourized version: it's a mockery of the original.

For other Christmas treats, I'm mooshy over 'A Christmas Story' and the undeservedly forgotten(?) 'Prancer' -- both with *real* actors. Also Comfort and Joy, one more live-action film that leaves me feeling tinsel-tingly and cheerful. ("Hello, folks!"!)

Profile Image
Thats a hard one

Polar Express is excellent - I found out today a guy I work with reads it to his son but knew nothing about the movie, where on earth has he been?

I also love Miracle on 34th Street

And you can't beat Love Actually for romance and christmas combined
Profile Image
For me, it's A Christmas Story.

Profile Image
For me, it's A Christmas Story.

Agreed! It's the best ever! :)
Profile Image

Fave movies

We saw Polar Express at the cinema and it was very impressive, but I've not watched it since. Don't think it would be the same on the telly.

Its a Wonderful Life - ahhh, lovely. Like comfort food.

Nativity - a gentle and sweet story with Martin Freeman is very cute.

Can I also nominate Lethal Weapon?! (I love that film!)
Profile Image

Re

I love Love Actually, and I also really like The Santa Clause, I remember watching that every Christmas when I was younger.
Profile Image
...but imo stuff like that is cotton-candy vis-a-vis many classics. Have you *seen* the movies mentioned earlier? They make most new efforts look too glitzy and sound dumb.
Profile Image
there are a few good animations out there but my favorites are oldies, A Christmas Story and the B/W Christmas Carol. Worth seeing again every year.
Profile Image
My favorite Xmas movie is definitely Emitt Otter's Jugband Christmas. It's not one of those holiday movies that I watch EVER year, but whenever I watch it, it makes me smile. I especially love the scenes with "River Bottom Nightmare Band."

Profile Image
Between these:

*It's a Wonderful Life
*A Christmas Story
*The Muppet Christmas Carol (Yes, the Muppet one! They are surprisingly true to the original story while including a bit of Muppet zaniness, and the music is good - although apparently they cut one song in the DVD version; luckily I still have the ol' VHS!)

And of course it's not Christmas without How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the "real" one, not that gosh-awful Jim Carrey thing).
Profile Image
It's a Wonderful Life

I watch it every year.
I also enjoy Elf and The Nativity Story.

I agree with Buffyfan - I find Polar Express kind of depressing.
Profile Image

my fav...

As an American living in Ireland, I really miss my favorites:

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (orig. as already posted), but also Love and Miss

A Christmas Carol with Mr. Magoo - Never get to see that anymore !
A Charlie Brown Christmas- Just not in Ireland !

and a real Childhood memory of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer with Burl Ives as the Snowman and narrator (as well as singer of the songs !) - Even did a psychology paper on this about 35 years ago !
Profile Image
Santa Claus the movie :-)
Profile Image
PBS. aired A Christmas Carol The Concert which is also for sale on their website. Thought it was a good version.
Profile Image
#1 It's a Wonderful Life -- love how it gives value to each individual and how our lives matter. We watch it every season.

#2 Elf -- this is my fun movie for the season.
Profile Image
Jack Frost and Home Alone :D

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.