corner corner So, what book do you think would make a good movie?

Forum | << Based on the Book: Books to Movies | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

So, what book do you think would make a good movie?

I think that The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver would make an excellent movie, if done right.

I also think that The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova would make for a very entertaining movie..Da Vinci Code style, sort of. Notice I used the term entertaining? I'm not sure it would make a good quality movie, but the story is entertaining and the settings (especially in Bulgaria and Hungary, etc.), would be quite interesting.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I think that The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver would make an excellent movie, if done right.

I also think that The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova would make for a very entertaining movie..Da Vinci Code style, sort of. Notice I used the term entertaining? I'm not sure it would make a good quality movie, but the story is entertaining and the settings (especially in Bulgaria and Hungary, etc.), would be quite interesting.
Profile Image
But I think it would be great if they could do it like they did with Kathy Reich's books when they made Bones. Stephanie Plum would make an awesome TV show!
Profile Image
Stephanie Plum would make a really fun movie or TV series! :-)
Profile Image
I'd like to see Stephanie Plum is it was played by Sandra Bulluk (sp) or Leigh Remmeni (sp)

> But I think it would be great if they
> could do it like they did with Kathy
> Reich's books when they made Bones.
> Stephanie Plum would make an awesome TV
> show!
Profile Image
The presidents personal physician and his adult daughter both vanish and no one can find them.
The new physician, a boyhood friend of the president, comes to DC but doesn't know who to trust when the president appears to be losing his mind.
A bit of nanotechnology, a rich father who bought the 2nd physician out of a long jail term and more twists and turns.
I'd go see it on opening weekend and I never do that.
Profile Image
I'd love to see them as films! Also Michael Korda's The Immortals. This was a great fiction based on 'fact' story about the love triangle between Marilyn Monroe and the Kennedy Brothers.
Profile Image
Poison Wood Bible would be great, if done just right! Do I smell an Oscar?
Profile Image
But they would have to get the girl who plays Penny on The Big Bang Theory, Kaley Cuoco, to play Calliope!
Profile Image
that I think would make good movies... but they would have to be done with loving care. Too many books I've read have been absolutely slaughtered on the screen. I'm surprised they haven't made the J.D. Robb futuristic Eve Dallas books into a movie (Innocent in Death, Stranger in Death, etc.). Jodi Picoult's books (Plain Truth, My Sister's Keeper, etc.) and even a new novel like The Lace Reader have great movie potential. It's just movies cost SO much to make and like a gabillion people have to see it before it makes any of its money back.
Profile Image
> Jodi Picoult's books (Plain Truth

This one is a movie, saw it forever ago, but after I read the book

http://www.imdb.com/---/tt0420075/
Profile Image
But I loved the characters so much, and have pictures of them in my mind... it might not be done to my standards!
Profile Image
I just can't imagine anyone doing justice to this book. But if it were filmed, I think it would have to be a mini-series rather than a movie, because the book is so huge, a movie would have to leave out so much.
Profile Image
Profile Image
But I loved the characters so much, and have pictures of them in my mind... it might not be done to my standards!

Outlander has now been made into a miniseries. Although the actor playing Jamie, Sam Heughan, is not as tall as I pictured Jamie he is a "braw big lad". I'm not quite as happy with the actress playing Claire, Catriona Balfe. She tends to switch emotions too quickly. It was so long ago that I read Outlander I can't remember what has been left out to fit the book into the TV series format. The series also uses flashbacks much more than I remember the book doing but it does help. It is quite well done and I'm looking forward to Season 2.
Profile Image
I read this book (http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/3822849) about how Norway's gold reserves were smuggled out of the country under the noses of the Nazis several years ago. I thought then it would make a fabulous movie and I'm surprised no-one has ever done it.
Profile Image
Have Guillermo Del Toro direct it and you have a great dark suspense comedy!
Profile Image
Actually, Gaiman wrote the mini-series first and then novelized it. I liked the mini-series, but the low-budget effects detracted from the story at times. I preferred being able to let my imagination have full reign with the novel. But it would be nice to see a big-budget, big-screen version sometime.
Profile Image
He obviously wants them made into movies, and I think they'd be great big blockbusters with huge budgets!
Profile Image
I'm reading this at the moment and it's like a movie in my head anyway!
Profile Image
I never did like Devil in a Blue Dress. It did not do justice to Easy. Denzel Washington is a fine actor but I never thought he was Easy Rawlins. But I can not think of any one I would like. Lawrence Fishburne maybe.
Profile Image
Yeah, I liked the movie until I read the book. I visualize while I read, and I had the worst time fitting Denzel into the role of Easy. I love Denzel, but that was just bad casting. I could see Lawrence Fishburne in the role.
Profile Image
I think Farmer Giles of Ham by J.R.R. Tolkien would make a good animated movie (especially a hand drawn one). The tale has a great moral--you don't have to be young or handsome or skinny to be a hero. Also...Giles' best friend is a talking dog!
Profile Image
But without the vague ending.
Profile Image
Oops, just checked. It has already been made into a movie.
Profile Image
Burial Rites by Hannah Kent very atmopsheric and most likely a good cry
Profile Image
I think Ted Dekkers CHOSEN series with BLACK,RED.GREEN and WHITE would make an awsome movie that is if they dont change it around
Profile Image
"As I’m a big fan of “Stephen King” I think “Mr Mercedes” would be great and Shawshank Redemption is the best movie based on a Book Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King. All characters acted really fantastic and the movie is just at the top of the shelf at IMdb Top movies.
"
Profile Image
There are seven books in the Harry Potter series

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Other Books:

Die Hard - Roderick Thorp
Live and let die - Ian Fleming
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
Hearts in Atlantis - Stephen King
The Jungle Book - Rudyard Kipling
The Ninth Gate - Arturo Pérez-Reverte
Last Man Standing - Dashiell Hammett
Home at the End of the World - Michael Cunningham III
Profile Image
Heh. Was this meant to be a snarky comment on the quality of the existing movies based on those books, or did you misread the question {wry grin}?
Profile Image
I'd love to see The Wizard, the Witch, and Two Girls from Jersey by Lisa Papademetriou. It's this great YA fantasy parody.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be that big of a fandom for that book...
Profile Image
Three Times Lucky- Sheila Turnage, one of my favorites!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.