corner corner United Kingdom

Forum | << Community Bulletin Board | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

United Kingdom

Come on we need loads more people joining Bookcrossing and releasing books into the wild. We are falling behind other countries! See what we can do in the next few months.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Come on we need loads more people joining Bookcrossing and releasing books into the wild. We are falling behind other countries! See what we can do in the next few months.
Profile Image
It's not for want of trying! I don't understand why more people don't join us. Straight after first hearing about Bookcrossing through a newspaper article I signed up - so why don't people who actually find books? Especially if they are book lovers.

I release a lot of books at my local Tescos & they all go - I've seen people buying them so I know they're not all going in the bin! If someone buys a book then they want to read it right? They must see the Bookcrossing label at the front, & even if they miss that there's still the note or stamp I put inside & the end label/note. I just can't understand why a book lover wouldn't want to investigate more! Or maybe some visit the site but something still puts them off journaling the book - never mind joining. Wish I knew the answer...
Profile Image
. . . so why don't people who actually find books? Especially if they are book lovers . . . I just can't understand why a book lover wouldn't want to investigate more!

Because being a book lover doesn't equate to being interested in tracking a book's travels or further releasing it. Maybe they just want to read the book.

And, of course, some people are not computer literate, or have no ready access to computers.

Profile Image

Because being a book lover doesn't equate to being interested in tracking a book's travels or further releasing it. Maybe they just want to read the book.

And, of course, some people are not computer literate, or have no ready access to computers.

I guess I just expect...or maybe want... everyone to be as book obsessed as I am :o)
Profile Image
I guess I just expect...or maybe want... everyone to be as book obsessed as I am :o)

Me too. My home town just doesn't journal books and I've left books in local schools at PTA events. I've watch others in Scotland release books in strange places, up hills etc where people don't expect to find them which seems to be the reason given for their high catch rate but I've left books on the West Highland Way with no success. Even Ardarchy gets more catches in Scotland than I do!!!! Also I record other people's books I've left on release walks at conventions with very little success. Recently I've been very disappointed in bookcrossers at uncons and conventions not journalling books so much so that I'm not taking part in the NSS at Bordeaux this year. But I would like to add a big thank you to those of you have sent me books in the past.
Profile Image

No, you want them to be as book*crossing* obsessed!

But not to worry. I think a lot of people have a hard time understanding why other folks don't get as excited as they do about their hobbies or pastimes. (And vice versa - I'll never understand the attraction of winter sports, for instance - it's COLD out there!)
Profile Image
You said you have seen people buying books you have released in Tesco. Was that a slip of the keyboard or are you putting stickers on books on the shelves?
Profile Image
You said you have seen people buying books you have released in Tesco. Was that a slip of the keyboard or are you putting stickers on books on the shelves?

I assumed she meant one of the charity fundraising bookshelves that many UK supermarkets have. I regularly leave books at our local Sainsbury's, the donations currently going to Open Country which helps disabled people to access to countryside.

ETA: I've had the odd catch, not many considering the number of years the shelves have been there and the numbers of books I've donated in aid of various charities. The most recent JE was by an Anon Finder who said it was on the No 36 bus, the route between Leeds and Ripon via Harrogate, served by fancy modern buses some of which have a commuter bookswap shelf by the door!
Profile Image
There are lots of members in my area,but many of them have never registered a book let alone journaled or released a book,all their stats are 0....why do they bother joining if they don't intend to take part?
There have been no new releases apart from mine.
Profile Image
They are the ones keeping the numbers up eg ardachy, ShirleyA, tashclayton, dolph1n, Cassandra2020, Plum-crazy etc and meet ups generate a lot of wild releases and keep people interested. I tend to do more controlled releases as I like to pass on books which are on a wish list. That said i’ve wild released a lot (for me - 17 or so) in the last four weeks. I think my conscience is clear! I sometimes buy cheap books just to wild release, especially for Secret Sunset Missions.
Profile Image
I'm specifically referring to Norfolk,not the whole of the UK. It would seem that lots were being released here one way or another 5-10 years ago,but not in the present day. Could it be that people get disalusioned when their books are found but never heard of again,so give up?
Profile Image
I'm specifically referring to Norfolk,not the whole of the UK. It would seem that lots were being released here one way or another 5-10 years ago,but not in the present day. Could it be that people get disalusioned when their books are found but never heard of again,so give up?

I do think that the newsletter once every so often, 6 months at least. every quarter better - noone wants a deluge - would be great as it would go to EVERYONE and so remind lots of people of its existence.
Profile Image
Could it be that people get disalusioned when their books are found but never heard of again,so give up?

Maybe but maybe real life gets in the way. I still wild release but not as much as I did for the first four years. More grandkids and time with the older generation taking precedence.

I find this next one hard to believe ........... they released all their books! Lol ;-)
Profile Image
Hi Poodlesister from Bookgirrl: I first got involved with BX'ing in Jan. 2005, and in June 2005, I went to London to celebrate my 50th. While there, I met up with a number of Bookcrossers at (what was then an OBCZ) the Stamford Arms Pub south of the river. We had such great time, and it got me even more fired up about BX'ing - such interesting, intelligent, nice people! That year - my first as "Bookgirrl", I got the impression there were lots of mad-keen BX'ers in the UK. We have a small but dedicated group in Toronto (including my 90-year old Mom, Bucklesbook - who never misses a meetup) but I think over time, some people just "fall off" with BX'ing. I know I don't release as many wild books as I used to, since moving to the country. When I lived in central Toronto, there were so many great places to leave books, a high concentration of people where I lived, and I walked everywhere. I think the Conventions are wonderful, and those renew my faith in the BX'ing community, although the current "no Journal Entry" situation is very troubling.
Profile Image
Hi Poodlesister from Bookgirrl

Hi Bookgirrl!
Profile Image
I'm a little surprised as well. With all the LFLs (which is something we don't have in France, or at least not that I knew of back when I still lived there three years ago), I'd expect people to be able to release books easily, and catch some easily, too?

But then, I'm a geek who likes ticking little boxes and keeping track of things, maybe most people aren't like that. XD
Profile Image
People are now much more savvy about online traps and pitfalls. I suspect very many people who see an invitation to join a free site see it as a scam of some kind. Can't blame them really.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.