corner corner Why can't there be more conventions in the USA?

Forum | << Community Bulletin Board | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Why can't there be more conventions in the USA?

The title is my question. I've never been to a convention in Minnesota, and I don't think there's ever been one. Please consider having a convention in Minnesota or Iowa. Either works.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
The title is my question. I've never been to a convention in Minnesota, and I don't think there's ever been one. Please consider having a convention in Minnesota or Iowa. Either works.
Profile Image
If you'd like to throw a convention, by all means do so! All the BC conventions are grass-roots affairs; someone in the area, or an especially active local group, puts a plan together and makes it happen. (The official anniversary conventions do have to be bid for, but you can throw an un-convention at any time!)
Profile Image
If you'd like to throw a convention, by all means do so! All the BC conventions are grass-roots affairs; someone in the area, or an especially active local group, puts a plan together and makes it happen. (The official anniversary conventions do have to be bid for, but you can throw an un-convention at any time!)

I think you can bid for hosting the annual convention in 2020 during the convention in Bordeaux, April next year.

But, as GoryDetails mentions, you yourself can organise a meeting or, together with a few active locals, an unconvention anyplace anytime.
Profile Image
Unconventions can be much simpler. Best to attend a convention/unconvention first though, to see what happens.
Profile Image
Please consider having a convention in Minnesota or Iowa.

All Conventions and Unconventions have been member-organized. You do need a team to run one, I doubt that one person could do it successfully. And a site or area that is nice enough, interesting enough, etc, so people "from away" would want to travel there.

There are not enough active members in my area to do so, but maybe in your area you can pull it off. Do you have regular meetings with other BookCrossers where you can generate some interest and a volunteer committee?

I agree with a previous comment that it would be easier to try an Unconvention first instead of the annual official Convention, especially if you haven't had a chance to attend one yet and see what happens there.

Good luck!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.