corner corner Still loving books... but haven't been releasing.

Forum | << Community Bulletin Board | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Still loving books... but haven't been releasing.

I don't get very many books to release now-a-days. That's because my Kindle Fire goes with me everywhere and I can carry hundreds of books with me.

I do still buy some 'real' books. But they are usually expensive hardbacks that I want to keep; sometimes signed editions. I do miss bookcrossing though.

Should I resort to buying second-hand paperbacks at charity shops and fayres? Just to release them?

Does anyone else do this or is it a silly thing to do?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I don't get very many books to release now-a-days. That's because my Kindle Fire goes with me everywhere and I can carry hundreds of books with me.

I do still buy some 'real' books. But they are usually expensive hardbacks that I want to keep; sometimes signed editions. I do miss bookcrossing though.

Should I resort to buying second-hand paperbacks at charity shops and fayres? Just to release them?

Profile Image
I like real books. Most are secondhand or from other BCers.
I also bought a lot of very cheap books from what I suspect was a closing down sale of a secondhand business, so lots of books to release.
Profile Image
Especially cheap ones from charity shops. I also find them on garden walls and rescue them, register them and release them on a community bookshelf. I tend to pass on books I read (I don't have a Kindle and prefer real books) to other Bookcrossers if they have it on their wishlist.
Profile Image
Should I resort to buying second-hand paperbacks at charity shops and fayres?

I would, if it kept me going on at Bookcrossing. I wouldn't mis it for the world.
We have a charity shop with a 20cts a piece bookcase. Maybe you should find something like that and before you know it, books are coming your way again. Good Luck and don't give up on BC. It's to good to mis. :-)
Profile Image

HAAAAhahahahahahaaaaa!!!

Says me, who just got back from hitting up the Goodwill store's "by the pound" back room for another stack of books to release. Heck, I regularly scour the local thrift shops and charity-sale outlets for books, since I like to wild-release way more books than I read. I look for nice copies of books I've already BC'ed, so I can cut-and-paste my previous journal entries, or for books that match up with upcoming release challenges, or that would fit in at the newest local Little Free Libraries - and sometimes I find books that I want to read myself, so it's a win for me all the way around.

Around here, prices for secondhand books range from 25 or 50 cents for children's books to $3-4 for adult hardcovers, but it varies a lot. The libraries in the area nearly all have ongoing book-sale shelves, with low-end prices; some of the thrift shops attempt to price their books by condition and newness, so some might cost $5 or more, but they usually have lower-end options as well. The Hannaford chain of supermarkets has set up all of its New Hampshire stores with charity-sale shops, where donated books are sold for $1 or $2 donations to a charity-of-the-week.

And then there are the occasional bag-of-books-for-a-flat-fee offer - got a bag for $5 at Hannaford's the other day, and another for $3 at a tiny thrift shop downtown.

If there are lots of yard sales in your area, you might be able to make a deal for any books left over at the end of the day, on a by-the-bag basis.

So, if you want more books for wild releasing, by all means, join the club!

Oh, and do check each book; sometimes they turn up with BCIDs inside, not always in the most obvious places. It's worth checking for issues, too, such as missing pages or badly-damaged spines or other problems. I have a fairly wide tolerance for no-longer-new books, but if they're so fragile that they can't be read easily, or so gunky that I don't want to touch them, I wouldn't bother to register them.
Profile Image
I buy lots of books from charity shops just to release, go for it!
Profile Image

I'm definitely not the one to ask if you want an unbiased opinion. If I get so broke that I can either afford food or afford books to release, I will surely lose a few pounds.

It definitely just depends, in my opinion, in how much you enjoy releasing. I *love* doing wild releases, 99.9% of the time for one or more Release Challenges http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/23 . That is what gives me joy. Joining in the Challenges, posting to the forums, seeing what others are releasing, getting catches, finding friends here, those all give me pleasure.

I buy many hundreds of books a year to release, along with some that I want to read myself. [Not that I need either, I've got bookcases full of books to release and more books that I want to read than I can ever get to in my lifetime, but that's what addictions are all about.] Actually, this is what happened to me a few months ago: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/542144 And if you read the whole thread you'll see I kept going back for more.

If you find joy in registering and releasing, as I do, pick up some cheap books and enjoy! If not, don't.

It's a hobby, something you should do if it brings you pleasure. No one but you can decide that.
Profile Image
Yes I do buy books from charity shops to release: like others, I buy ones I know and have enjoyed. Otherwise the risk is that I will want to keep it to read, and I don't need many more books! I usually limit myself to 50p a purchase but if it's for a good cause I guess it doesn't matter how much it is. I too sometimes pick up/rescue books from random places and register them.
Profile Image
The charity shop makes some dough, someone finds a book that they may turn out to love, and you get to participate actively in BookCrossing. I say go for it.
Profile Image

I think that makes no sense, if the book was not worth to be read by yourself. Why should others read that book? And how will you find out if that book has not content that you would not like to share with other persons, e. g. sex or extreme political positions?
Profile Image
I think that makes no sense, if the book was not worth to be read by yourself. Why should others read that book?

Easy fix:
You could, of course, limit yourself to buying second-hand copies of books that you have read yourself.

Personally I don't mind releasing books that I haven't read. I think almost all books have something to offer. Even if I personally am not the right reader for a certain book, someone else might be.
Profile Image
Even if I personally am not the right reader for a certain book, someone else might be.

Exactly!
Profile Image
'Not silly at all! You can pick up paperbacks for $1 and $2. Also, I notice in some neighbourhoods (I live near Toronto) you can find a whole box of books with a "FREE" sign. I've picked up a few of those and registered and released them.
Profile Image
Ours has sales several times a year, and they always have a 'bag sale' in the last hour, when you pay $5 for everything you can cram into a large grocery bag. Also, the money goes to support free programs which I often enjoy. So, win-win!
Profile Image
Mine let me have a box for free by the end of the sale, because I explaned what Bookcrossing was about :-)
Profile Image
Mine let me have a box for free by the end of the sale, because I explaned what Bookcrossing was about :-)

: )

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.