corner corner Can*Con 2017

Forum | << Community Bulletin Board | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Can*Con 2017

Hey folks! It's been a long time, but for those of you who remember me, hello!

I've dropped by to mention a great con set in my home city of Ottawa, Canada: Can*Con: The Conference on Canadian Content in Speculative Arts and Literature.

I've been going for three years now, and every year it just gets better. If you're a reader and at all local, it's a brilliant way to get involved with the the wonderful intersection of Canada, Spec-Fic/Sci-Fi, and Reading/Writing worlds. It's got brilliant panels and workshops for authors as well as readers, and has a heavy science component that I've never seen matched. Any writer will find something for them (it's by no means SF only on that front). The panel list is just about being finalized for this year, but you can check out last year's panels at the can-con.org website.

Bonus? The ticket price doesn't break the bank.

Before I forget, though, the Guests of Honour this year? The Writer Guest of Honour is author Steven Eriksen; the Agent Guest of Honour is Kim-Mei Kirtland; and the Editor Guest of Honour is Shiela Gilbert.

If you're at all curious, I really do suggest you check out can-con.org for details. It's an awesome event. I went as a reader, and I've been since as an author, and the experience was awesome both ways.

Complete Thread

Profile Image

Can*Con 2017

Hey folks! It's been a long time, but for those of you who remember me, hello!

I've dropped by to mention a great con set in my home city of Ottawa, Canada: Can*Con: The Conference on Canadian Content in Speculative Arts and Literature.

I've been going for three years now, and every year it just gets better. If you're a reader and at all local, it's a brilliant way to get involved with the the wonderful intersection of Canada, Spec-Fic/Sci-Fi, and Reading/Writing worlds. It's got brilliant panels and workshops for authors as well as readers, and has a heavy science component that I've never seen matched. Any writer will find something for them (it's by no means SF only on that front). The panel list is just about being finalized for this year, but you can check out last year's panels at the can-con.org website.

Bonus? The ticket price doesn't break the bank.

Before I forget, though, the Guests of Honour this year? The Writer Guest of Honour is author Steven Eriksen; the Agent Guest of Honour is Kim-Mei Kirtland; and the Editor Guest of Honour is Shiela Gilbert.

If you're at all curious, I really do suggest you check out can-con.org for details. It's an awesome event. I went as a reader, and I've been since as an author, and the experience was awesome both ways.
Profile Image
I hope this means you're coming back.
Profile Image
Hey, good to hear from you! The convention sounds very cool - and a great way to discover new authors. (Congrats on your own books, btw; I picked up a copy of Triad Soul not long ago!)
Profile Image
I've done a couple of wild releases recently, so yeah, I'm trying to flex my BookCrossing muscles again. ;)

And thank you both! The writing is going well. I'm working on a YA now, which is... difficult, but hopefully it's going to be worthwhile when it's done and I'm an empty brain of blankness. ;)
Profile Image
It is SO good to hear from you, N8an!

How are you? How's Dan? How's life in general?
Profile Image

Everything is great. Dan is still the smart banana at work who is designing things computers do to make things safer. I left the bookstore a couple of years ago and get to write full time now, which is awesome; I do part-time cover shifts here and there at a local LGBT Gallery.

We also rescued a dog. I officially lost the cat-dog war, but Coach, our husky, is sort of incredible, actually, so I try not to feel to bad about the loss. ;)

How are you?
Profile Image

Everything is great. Dan is still the smart banana at work who is designing things computers do to make things safer. I left the bookstore a couple of years ago and get to write full time now, which is awesome; I do part-time cover shifts here and there at a local LGBT Gallery.

We also rescued a dog. I officially lost the cat-dog war, but Coach, our husky, is sort of incredible, actually, so I try not to feel to bad about the loss. ;)

How are you?

Whoa! Congrats on being able to make writing your full-time job! That's a rare and wonderful thing.

I'm excellent, thanks. I retired six years ago, and am traveling a lot - Venice is now my official favorite city (other than my own). I do a lot of volunteer work, too. I'm on the boards of a Latino theater company and an early music group, and I give architectural tours at various Frank Lloyd Wright sites here.

And I am mom to a couple of rambunctious cats. They're litter-mates, Siamese-tabby mix, very gorgeous.
Profile Image
Aww. :) Kitties.

(Someday I will have kitties.)
Profile Image
Aww. :) Kitties.

(Someday I will have kitties.)

Until then, here's a picture of my Raffles - feel the fur:

https://flic.kr/---/VqQC87

Ten-year-old shelter rescue, very fluffy, a bit timid but likes to snuggle!
Profile Image
Until then, here's a picture of my Raffles - feel the fur:

Gorgeous!!!!!
Profile Image
Here's a photo of my boys: https://www.flickr.com/---/36244276060/
Profile Image
Oh my gosh, they all so gorgeous. *snivel*
Profile Image
Here's a photo of my boys: https://www.flickr.com/---/36244276060/

Elegant! Just like you.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.