corner corner Turnpike Lane bookshelf, Oval & Kentish Town West

Forum | << Community Bulletin Board | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Turnpike Lane bookshelf, Oval & Kentish Town West

These are two underground stations and one overground station in London which have public bookshelves. They are supposed to be "leave one, take one". I know that one of the Clapham stations has another one - I mean Clapham North, or Central, or South, one of those. Can anybody mention any other free bookshelf on public transport, in or out of London? Even if they are not OBCZs there may be somebody interested in knowing so just in case they happen to pass by.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
These are two underground stations and one overground station in London which have public bookshelves. They are supposed to be "leave one, take one". I know that one of the Clapham stations has another one - I mean Clapham North, or Central, or South, one of those. Can anybody mention any other free bookshelf on public transport, in or out of London? Even if they are not OBCZs there may be somebody interested in knowing so just in case they happen to pass by.
Profile Image
There's the one in Stratford Station - but someone else will need to describe exactly where it is - I've only ever seen it empty.

Outside London as I can tell you I spent longer in Didcot Parkway than I would choose I saw a book box by the ticket barrier, but was busy running between the platform and the head of the bus queue.... 8 hours to the West Country! I often do see bookshelves in smaller stations in the South East, but none in the Underground near where I am.
Profile Image
There's the one in Stratford Station - but someone else will need to describe exactly where it is - I've only ever seen it empty

https://booksforlondon.org.uk/---/stratford/

Here is the link for Stratford. It has a high turnover of books so is often empty because they are picked up within 24 hours. It's next to a kiosk selling sweets etc and is in the older subway.
Profile Image
It is inside the ticket gates and is managed by a staff learning representative who works at the station.
Profile Image
I added it as a BCZ as I go through it a couple times a month - the book turnover doesn't seem to be that high, perhaps because it's inside the ticket office but behind the barriers, so people who are just changing from train to Overground or vice versa and not leaving or entering the station don't see it.

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/814247

I've seen the Stratford one a few times, I left a book there before I started Bookcrossing again.
Profile Image
Will try to remember that. It's not far from me though I rarely go through it. Not sure I've understood the explanation of its location but guess I can ask.

I added it as a BCZ as I go through it a couple times a month - the book turnover doesn't seem to be that high, perhaps because it's inside the ticket office but behind the barriers, so people who are just changing from train to Overground or vice versa and not leaving or entering the station don't see it.

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/814247

I've seen the Stratford one a few times, I left a book there before I started Bookcrossing again.

Profile Image
There is a book exchange shelf but it's empty every time I walk past it. I left a book there this morning!
Profile Image
There is a book exchange shelf but it's empty every time I walk past it. I left a book there this morning!

I've seen two or three books on that shelf on the rare occasions I visit the station. Never remember it is there in time to take any books to release.
Profile Image
There is a bookcase inside the station just next to the ticket windows - seeing it there is what got me back into Bookcrossing and it's where I leave most of my wild releases.
Haven't got that great of a catch rate in terms of people registering books on the site but if they're reading and enjoying the books then that's the main thing.
Does sometimes get a bit cluttered up with people leaving things that no one else seems to want so it's usually pretty full, but not always that great of a selection - I sometimes think there should be a book exchange programme when that happens, but I don't want to look like I'm stealing all the books!
Profile Image
There is a bookcase inside the station just next to the ticket windows - seeing it there is what got me back into Bookcrossing and it's where I leave most of my wild releases.
Haven't got that great of a catch rate in terms of people registering books on the site but if they're reading and enjoying the books then that's the main thing.
Does sometimes get a bit cluttered up with people leaving things that no one else seems to want so it's usually pretty full, but not always that great of a selection - I sometimes think there should be a book exchange programme when that happens, but I don't want to look like I'm stealing all the books!

It's funny I've left quite a number of books on bookshelves and 'little libraries' like that and I always think I'm more likely to get a comment from those but in fact I don't think I have ever or almost ever...!! That's quite surprising!
Profile Image
It's funny I've left quite a number of books on bookshelves and 'little libraries' like that and I always think I'm more likely to get a comment from those

I think it's actually less likely. My theory is that people who are surprised to find a book are more likely to make a journal entry, and no one is surprised to find a book in such a spot.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.