corner corner I was book shopping

Forum | << Community Bulletin Board | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

I was book shopping

at the Salvation Army Thrift Store today and found six books there that I had released quite recently. I bought them back to re-release since most had "free book" labels on the front and I didn't know if anyone else would buy a "free book" and I didn't want them to get thrown out.

What would you have done?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
at the Salvation Army Thrift Store today and found six books there that I had released quite recently. I bought them back to re-release since most had "free book" labels on the front and I didn't know if anyone else would buy a "free book" and I didn't want them to get thrown out.

Profile Image

Wow...what are the odds. I think I would have done the same. ; )
Profile Image
I don't mind if my books wind up in charity shops, though if I found that many at once I might wonder whether someone at the release spot had a very low tolerance for leaving BC books lying around! [That's if the books all came from the same spot; if they were from widely separate spots it may just be coincidence that they turned up at the same time.]

I have sometimes bought back my own releases, but that's usually when I have a new release challenge that the book would fit - or if I want it to fill someone's wish. At other times I may simply make a note of the book, and either edit its release notes or make new ones to show where it is now.

You could chat with the thrift shop manager about BC books. If you don't mind the books being sold there, you could explain that the free-book labels are more of a suggestion ("Pirates of the Caribbean" joke), and can point them and any confused customers to the site FAQ, which mentions thrift shops as one of many possible waypoints for BC books. But if you'd rather the free-book-labeled books weren't sold there, you'd have to ask them not to accept them, which might result in the books being discarded immediately.

And if all the books came from the same place on a recent release trip, you might ask around there - has the management changed, and BC books are no longer welcome?

Or you can let it go for now and see if it happens again.
Profile Image
though if I found that many at once I might wonder whether someone at the release spot had a very low tolerance for leaving BC books lying around!

I think I released them all at a Food Pantry where they are always delighted to take my books. My guess was that someone picked them up at the pantry and then gave them to the Salvation Army. I don't think the Food Pantry did it.

And it wasn't that I was worried that the Salvation Army wouldn't want to sell them, just that no one (except a BookCrosser of course) would pay money for a book that said Free on the front. And *then* they'd get tossed, since no one would buy them.
Profile Image
And it wasn't that I was worried that the Salvation Army wouldn't want to sell them, just that no one (except a BookCrosser of course) would pay money for a book that said Free on the front. And *then* they'd get tossed, since no one would buy them.

I'd buy it even if I wasn't a Bookcrosser. Sure, the label implies it's a free book, but if it's in a thrift shop, then it obviously has to have a price, and if the book was something that is of interest to me, the fact that the previous owner got it for free would not deter me from paying for the book myself, providing the price was reasonable, which they usually are in thrift shops. :)
Profile Image

Same thing with gritted teeth :-)
Profile Image
Hi all: I think sometimes these things happen, but there is a concern that books with the BC labels can be tossed out by a thrift shop--I know a lot of the British Charity Shops have similar policies and there have been warnings posted by British Bookcrossers about this going on over/across the pond, etc.

There is something of a mini-chain in the suburban Boston area, called Used Super Bookstore or similar name. They take bulk donations of books and sell them at a steep mark down scale, price lowered as the book resides there. But a fellow Boston Bookcrosser mentioned to me they learned they toss any books that say they are free/have any kind of free label. But I don't live anywhere near enough for a location to work out any kind of a plan with a manager, etc.

This past year, I had a bit of a melt down when my local, i.e. small town, public library had 6 dozen dumpsters/not recycle filled with books set out. I rescued about 4 grocery bags worth. Sort of really burnt my toast b/c they have an in-house thrift shop where they sell both books removed from circulations/donated to raises funds for books. There were a couple of first editions I found in my rescue cache I prompted donated them to other libraries and nonprofits. In this specific case, it's the new library director b/c my mom mentioned it to the assistant librarian who runs the mystery book group and he did the little I'm not in charge shuffle. I mentioned this incident to two (2) retired librarians at the Mass. JASNA mtg., not long after and they were appalled. I also posted on a librarian's blog that wrote about "weeding" and she too conceded this seemed poorly managed. I guess this new library director is more concerned with special events, recently a tea tasting that my aunt wanted us to go to and I told my aunt I would skip it b/c I still really cannot be civil to this woman. I ran into her one day trying to return my mother's mystery book club book and she pertly told the library was closed for the day/for some type of staff training. I thanked her and fled.

In closing, not Bookcrossing related, but this professor inadvertently bought her lost book back from Amazon. Apparently she'd lent it to a student--now keeps better track. Here is a link/url:
http://nymag.com/---/professor-buys-personal-copy-of-book-she-lost-on-amazon.html
Profile Image
Hi all: I think sometimes these things happen, but there is a concern that books with the BC labels can be tossed out by a thrift shop--I know a lot of the British Charity Shops have similar policies and there have been warnings posted by British Bookcrossers about this going on over/across the pond, etc.

As an ex-volunteer for Oxfam Books and Music, I can say that this is true. We had orders to removed all labels and notices from previous owners, names of owners, discount stickers, buy three for two, etc... Any paperback not in good condition would be chucked on the bin. Also hardbacks more than two years old would be chucked in the bin.

A labelled BC book with a registration number would surely end up in the bin, at least at Oxfam, which is the biggest second-had bookseller in the Uk.

It is company policy!
Profile Image
I'm surprised at this. I had got the impression that oxfam recycled unsold books and got given money from the recycling company.
Might try and have a chat with my local store manager.
Profile Image

3 times.

As far as I can remember, these happened to me two or three times. In every case, I bought the books again.

In fact, believe it or not, one of the times it was one of my own books! Some moron picked my perfectly labelled BC book, scribbled all over it, punched some holes on the pages with a pencil or god knows what tool, and then chucked them again on a Remar shop. When I bought this one back, the attendant gave it to me for free - I had bought some more "normal" books - because that book on its present condition shouldn't have put for sale, it should have been chucked onto the rubbish bin.

I agreed with that. I put it onto a recycling bin and then I used that BCID number for another book.
Profile Image
I would've done the exact same thing!
Profile Image

If it's something I'm not interested in reading, I won't buy it, but I usually make a note of it so we know where it is. Kind of like this one:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/987705/
Profile Image

good shop

Was there ( Salvation Army Thrift Store) one time. Good shop.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.