corner corner Cyprus.. what to do?

Forum | << Region Cleanup: Cities & Crossing Zones | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Cyprus.. what to do?

Iǘe been to Cyprus and have released several books. Some of the cities I have added, others where pre-existing. There are some duplicate cities. I want to make a clean-up list, but I have a big question about what to do. Cyprus has three different languages and therefore for many cities three different names. Even the capital city has three names under which books can be released: Nicosia, Lefkosia and Lefkoşa.

On wikipedia: This is a list of settlements in Cyprus. The English-language name is indicated first, followed by the Greek name in Greek script (if it is different from the English-language name, the Greek name is rendered in the Latin alphabet), followed by the Turkish name.

What to do? Can the cities by entered under for instance Nicosia / Lefkosia / Lefkoşa? Or just as separate cities (which they are not)...

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Iǘe been to Cyprus and have released several books. Some of the cities I have added, others where pre-existing. There are some duplicate cities. I want to make a clean-up list, but I have a big question about what to do. Cyprus has three different languages and therefore for many cities three different names. Even the capital city has three names under which books can be released: Nicosia, Lefkosia and Lefkoşa.

On wikipedia: This is a list of settlements in Cyprus. The English-language name is indicated first, followed by the Greek name in Greek script (if it is different from the English-language name, the Greek name is rendered in the Latin alphabet), followed by the Turkish name.

What to do? Can the cities by entered under for instance Nicosia / Lefkosia / Lefkoşa? Or just as separate cities (which they are not)...
Profile Image
On some countries like say Japan, there are I believe sheparate listings for the same areas, one in Japanese, one in English.

On some countries such as say Saudi Arabia, there are only listings in English rather than Arabic. I think this comes mostly up to if there is lots of local book crossing activity and what local Book Crossers think about it.

In Greece the generic prefecture~county listings are written in English, then the sub-listings can go all kind of ways, some containing sheparate listings in Greek and English, some featuring one listing in Greek and English, say Athens- Αθήνα, some only Greek... As Greek alphabet is hard to recognise for most international visitors, on the areas I frequent, I try to keep only one listing, but both in Greek and English, say Delphi-Δελφοί. But that's just me.

I see Cyprus is not very active BC-wise, so I would add zones in English to make it easier for the international users.

Then an other idea would be to use English and Greek for the southern part and English and Turkish for the northern part of the island, but this would cause lots of work and maybe some turmoil ( The northern part is not recognised by UN etc as a state or anything,only by Turkey. But then, I don't see BC following a lot the UN or global organisations' list of countries and it;s unclear what criteria are used for the listings. For example, there is still a Yugoslavia listed in the Go Hunting pages, Macedonia listed as that although that's not a formal name for the country and so on.)

I think that's up to you mainly.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.