corner corner [ongoing] Italy > Lombardia > Como

Forum | << Region Cleanup: Cities & Crossing Zones | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

[ongoing] Italy > Lombardia > Como

On Italy>Lombardia>Como there is a lot of work. more that 240 zones listed for a small city, and they are mostly duplicated, wrong or excessively detailed.

Which format is the best to communicate a fix?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
On Italy>Lombardia>Como there is a lot of work. more that 240 zones listed for a small city, and they are mostly duplicated, wrong or excessively detailed.

Profile Image

I can start cleaning the obvious (I have been dealing with Italy on a city level for several months now) and submit what will remain of the list here for your corrections, like this (extract with the most recent zones):

789150 = Circolo velico Annje Bonnje
785663 = ALBESE CON CASSANO PARCO COMUNALE NELLA CASETTA
785662 = ALBESE CON CASSANO
778909 = Caffe Natta
777753 = Notasunota
772069 = Bagai de Comm
767918 = Parco della Valbasca
767456 = Banca Albate
(...)
Profile Image
I'm writing an excel file with "Wrong" adn "correct" columns. Some zone are correct but belong to other cities (not Como)

I think that all zones with 1-2 book relased many years ago and never touched can be also automatically removed (but this should be do on entire BC site)
Profile Image

I think that all zones with 1-2 book released many years ago and never touched can be also automatically removed (but this should be do on entire BC site)

This would be too bold a move and somewhat inappropriate. But zones that are cryptic or fanciful could be merged under "da qualche parte".

Here is a list after some rough cleaning. Because the list is too long to fit in one post, I removed all the "plain streets" (Via Cavour, Piazza Vittoria, etc) but if you notice any corrections to be made in one or the other as well please mention them. They go from the most recent to the oldest.

(Edited to remove list after major cleaning)
Profile Image
Still many pitfall. If you transmit privately your e-mai I can send you the work done until now.

Some address are misleading like "civico 73" mean just the number of the building and "Tempio Voltiano" (a famous local monument) that is listed under 3 different entry
Profile Image
Just released ...

"Ossuccio" is not a place in Como but a very different town.

"Italy > Lombardia > Como > Ossuccio" become "Italy > Lombardia > Ossuccio"

This area is particularty misleading because "Como" is not only the town AND the county but is also the name of the lake
Profile Image
To all users wishing similar thorough cleanups, please bear in mind that they are much time-consuming operations. Thanks.
Profile Image
Yes ... just after the cleaning other wrong another two stupid entry has just come in:

Italy > Lombardia > Como > Bancomat (da precisare) mean: Generic ATM machine
Italy > Lombardia > Como > Politecnico Milano (posto da confermare) mean: Univerity to be specified later.

IMHO, leave the zone-adding mechanism open to everybody is absolutely wrong. Zone become cluttered in no time
Profile Image
Yes ... just after the cleaning other wrong another two stupid entry has just come in:
Italy > Lombardia > Como > Bancomat (da precisare) mean: Generic ATM machine
Italy > Lombardia > Como > Politecnico Milano (posto da confermare) mean: Univerity to be specified later.

These are not additions but editions, and there is nothing wrong about generic zones. We don't delete zones, we can edit them, move them, "hide" them (which is a problem since they don't actually get hidden in the drop-down menu, so it's always best to add a mention before hiding them) or merge them under another zone.

There are no hard rules for entering new zones, as a matter of fact there are no rules at all, just common sense. I like clean lists and therefore spend a _tremendous lot of time_ dealing with them. But we cannot dismiss all zones that are too generic.

Like I said, I'm done with Como at this point.

IMHO, leave the zone-adding mechanism open to everybody is absolutely wrong. Zone become cluttered in no time

This is not very democratic, to say the least! I wonder how new zones would be added then...

Profile Image
Ok, but "da confermare" mean "to be confirmed" and "posto da confermare" stands for "place to be confirmed"

Probably someone that write notes before an (uncertain) release. In this way the purpose of release zone (to find a book) is no longer effective.

Isn't a problem of "democracy" but rather a "consistency" issue.

Unfortunately an option to input directly GPS coordinates does not exist, but it will be very useful

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.