corner corner Crowdfunding for an app

Forum | << Feature Requests | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Crowdfunding for an app

Just been at a bookcrossing meetup and discussing an app. Has anyone looked at crowdfunding to pay for this? Pretty much everyone at the meetup would be willing to pay a few pounds towards the development of one. Multiply that up by all the bookcrossing members.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Just been at a bookcrossing meetup and discussing an app. Has anyone looked at crowdfunding to pay for this? Pretty much everyone at the meetup would be willing to pay a few pounds towards the development of one. Multiply that up by all the bookcrossing members.
Profile Image
I'll pass this on to Bruce and Ron (site founders). No promises though. Well, I do promise that I'll pass it on.
Profile Image
Profile Image
I'd donate to that. Heck, I'd donate to get a decent mobile version of the website.
Profile Image
I'd donate to that. Heck, I'd donate to get a decent mobile version of the website.

Me too!
Profile Image

Me too!

I would *PREFER* a good mobile version of the website. I really don't need another app.
Profile Image
I would *PREFER* a good mobile version of the website. I really don't need another app.

Me, too. It would be cross-platform, and it would probably also be good to use on older/slower computers.
Profile Image

Me, too. It would be cross-platform, and it would probably also be good to use on older/slower computers.

Yes, well...my preferred way to access the site is my desktop CPU, and that's not likely to change. But it would be nice to have a better mobile site _also_.
Profile Image
it would be nice to have a better mobile site _also_.

Exactly. It should be an addition, not a replacement. Unless, of course, it can be made so that it works fine on desktops *and* mobile devices.

When I said platforms, I meant operating systems. As in, a mobile site that works on iPhones, Android phones and whatever else is out there.
Profile Image
it would be nice to have a better mobile site _also_.

Exactly. It should be an addition, not a replacement. Unless, of course, it can be made so that it works fine on desktops *and* mobile devices.

When I said platforms, I meant operating systems. As in, a mobile site that works on iPhones, Android phones and whatever else is out there.

Yes, in that case no one would have to develop separate apps for IOS, Android, etc...
Profile Image
This could work....
Profile Image

Yes!

I am old fashioned, don't even own a modern mobile phone, but I believe that a decent app would attract many more people on BC. And I believe many many books go without a catch because people who happen to find them try to use their phone to see what this is about and maybe to add a journal entry but it's not possible for them.

I am a member less than 2 years here but I try to support the site as often as I can through the store and I would definitely support financially an app or other improvements to the site.
Profile Image
if all the people that say they'd pay for an app are also paying to keep this site alive in the first place.

Although I'd love the site to be more mobile friendly, I'm really more worried that BookCrossing will end altogether and all my books will be orphaned with no way to write home. I know the site has always had financial difficulties and isn't as well funded by its users as one would hope.

: (
Profile Image

RE: I wonder

if all the people that say they'd pay for an app are also paying to keep this site alive in the first place.

: (

Yes I am.
Profile Image
I make a purchase from the store every few months, often each purchase coming more than $100 and I've offer wings etc as RABCK in the Greek forum when I celebrated my first BCversary. I don't know if this is enough or not, but I agree that I don't see that many members, even the older ones here using the wings feature or official BC supplies as much as they should.

I've noticed this especially in some of the local forums where members seem too busy with their close-knit "circles", using BC mostly for releasing on local OBCZs or organizing games and exchanging books in monthly meet-ups and/or hand to hand....
Profile Image
Wow, a number of us at our Melbourne Meetup also talked about this two weeks ago after initial discussion in NZ! Thanks for introducing the topic here. Let’s hope we can initiate something to enhance the site.
Profile Image
It would be good to have an apps. Like with QR quote, once scan, the location and the people passing the book on. It would be a great idea. More and more young people would join in and share the joy of sharing. "Sharing is caring"

Cheers!

Regards,
MH

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.