corner corner Release bags

Forum | << Feature Requests | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Release bags

Not sure if this is the correct place for my comments but it does say above that Support regularly read the entries here so here goes. I've never bought release bags from the store but I've had one or two kindly sent me with wishlist books or other RABCKs. However the one I tried to use today was very difficult to seal-in fact I gave up in the end and used one of my usual shop-bought ones. The ones I use are Ziplock and I find these much better and weatherproof than the ones from the store. I have tried store-bought ones similar to the ones from the b.c store but I find that after being sealed a few times they don't seal properly or won't seal at all thereby exposing the book to the weather. Anyway my point is that maybe the store could start selling Ziplock type bags. The information printed on them is great. I won't waste the bag I have as I plan to cut off the printed bit and stick it onto a ziplockbag with sticky tape. Would be interested to hear your comments. This isn't meant to be a criticism but more a way of protecting the books from getting wet when released outside.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Not sure if this is the correct place for my comments but it does say above that Support regularly read the entries here so here goes. I've never bought release bags from the store but I've had one or two kindly sent me with wishlist books or other RABCKs. However the one I tried to use today was very difficult to seal-in fact I gave up in the end and used one of my usual shop-bought ones. The ones I use are Ziplock and I find these much better and weatherproof than the ones from the store. I have tried store-bought ones similar to the ones from the b.c store but I find that after being sealed a few times they don't seal properly or won't seal at all thereby exposing the book to the weather. Anyway my point is that maybe the store could start selling Ziplock type bags. The information printed on them is great. I won't waste the bag I have as I plan to cut off the printed bit and stick it onto a ziplockbag with sticky tape. Would be interested to hear your comments. This isn't meant to be a criticism but more a way of protecting the books from getting wet when released outside.
Profile Image

Ziplock

Are those the type that slide along? I rarely see them for sale here, but perhaps I have not looked hard enough. I buy bags that I run my fingers along to seal, and I have not had a problem yet, or fortunately the few times I have bought the BC bags. I suspect that most people finding a book would throw the bag out and so it would end up with only one time use. I think a greater problem than the seal, is a hole appearing in the bag, and this is the same for all bags, regardless of their seal.
Profile Image
that they have a hole on top so that you could hang them somewhere. But the plastic is not strong, so when I tried to make a few tree releases, the bags containing heavy-ish books falled down! For very light books it was fine. One large-ish book didn't fit, so the bag couldn't seal properly.

Otherwise, no complaints.
Profile Image
that they have a hole on top so that you could hang them somewhere. But the plastic is not strong, so when I tried to make a few tree releases, the bags containing heavy-ish books falled down! .....

I use the little ring-binder stickers~~those little thingy you put around the holes so the pages don't tear~~fabric, so also works to strengthen the plastic bag.
Profile Image
As you say they bags probably get thrown away BUT as it rains a lot here in England I envisage someone undoing the bag to examine/read some of the book, then maybe rejecting it and not refastening it properly, thereby letting in the rain and spoiling the book . Also some re-releasers would probably re-use the bag and maybe not fasten it properly. Ziplock bags are readily available where I live.
Profile Image
having just watched a programme about the ocean and the problems caused by plastic, I am having misgivings about plastic release bags. Our supermarkets no longer sell plastic bags, apart from biodegradable ones, paper or re-usable muslin bags for fruit and veg sold loose.
Maybe it isn't such a good idea to leave books in plastic bags all over the place.
Profile Image
... I believe books should be protected when released out in the wild, especially on rainy days or when released in more isolated places where they may not be found for several days... Not sure what the solution could be for this.
Profile Image
I think they are fine. But I really wish they still came in 2 sizes.
Profile Image
But I really wish they still came in 2 sizes.

Same. :-(

I also wish the text on the bookmarks hadn't been changed. But that's another topic.

Profile Image
I think they are fine. But I really wish they still came in 2 sizes.

Yes, I miss the large size. I believe it was a cost issue, but they sure were useful.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.