corner corner Dirmant

Forum | << Feature Requests | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Dirmant

Would if be possible to mark bookcrossers who are dormant. Not sure what limit you might use, maybe 2 or 3 years. Then unmark if they log in. I suggest it as I often look to see if a book is wished for in U.K. Before releasing. I will then offer the book if they are in U.K. Postage outside would probably be too much, trouble is that there are wishes dating back so far so it's difficult to know if they still want it. Do you ever ask people to clean their wish list?

Complete Thread

Profile Image

Dirmant

Would if be possible to mark bookcrossers who are dormant. Not sure what limit you might use, maybe 2 or 3 years. Then unmark if they log in. I suggest it as I often look to see if a book is wished for in U.K. Before releasing. I will then offer the book if they are in U.K. Postage outside would probably be too much, trouble is that there are wishes dating back so far so it's difficult to know if they still want it. Do you ever ask people to clean their wish list?
Profile Image
It would be very convenient if the profile had a line that said "Last active:[date]",or something like that.
I've usually checked the date of the activity of the book that appears on the left side of the profile and/or date of last forum post. But even if that's a long tinge ago, (s)he might be logging in from time to time.

I've never asked anyone to clean their wish list shelf. But that's partly because I think that old wishes can still be valid. Then, on the other hand, when opening book rings/rays, I've contracted people that have the book on their wish list. Some stayed quiet, but they might (I hope) have had a look at their wish list because of my message.
Profile Image
"dormant"? Or "active"?

The prior posts are focused on wish list activity, but that really says nothing about how "active" a person is on BC.

Do you ever ask people to clean their wish list?

I would *never* ask someone to "clean" their wish list. It's not my business how they use it (some people use it merely as a memory aid, with no expectation that someone will offer the book), or to assume that merely because a wish is old that the book is no longer wanted.

Rather than trying to parse other folks' use of the site, it's simpler, I think, to offer the book; then, if there's no response, just offer it to someone else or release it in some other fashion.
Profile Image
Rather than trying to parse other folks' use of the site, it's simpler, I think, to offer the book; then, if there's no response, just offer it to someone else or release it in some other fashion.

I agree, and I would like to add: offer it with a time limit for response. As in 'If you're interested, please send me your address within a week'. Then you'll know when to move on if you don't hear back.

You're going to send them a message anyway, in order to ask for a mailing address.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.