corner corner AVL -wishlist comparison feature

Forum | << Feature Requests | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

AVL -wishlist comparison feature

Hey!
Since I like to exchange books or just to make RABCKs easier it would be helpful to have a feature to compare your own AVL or TBR list with someone else's wishlist. Also it would make especially the wishlist tag game easier. You can compare your own AVLs to the wishlist with just one click - it's exhausting and annoying to look through some 36 pages long wishlists and find out that you cannot send the other user any book cause you don't own any of them.
... Just an idea. I don't know, how do you other users think about this?
Greetings

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Hey!
Since I like to exchange books or just to make RABCKs easier it would be helpful to have a feature to compare your own AVL or TBR list with someone else's wishlist. Also it would make especially the wishlist tag game easier. You can compare your own AVLs to the wishlist with just one click - it's exhausting and annoying to look through some 36 pages long wishlists and find out that you cannot send the other user any book cause you don't own any of them.
... Just an idea. I don't know, how do you other users think about this?
Greetings
Profile Image
I clicked on this feature requests page in order to post exactly the same question, and then I saw your post! I frequently take part in Wishlist Tags, but since I have hundreds of books registered I can't remember them all and very often I am skipping past books on others' wishlists that I actually DO own myself. I'm scrolling through the wishlists and unless a book sticks out in my mind for some reason, I'm unlikely to remember I have it. Especially since some books I acquire are for bookcrossing purposes only and I don't even read them first.

It would be very helpful to have a little icon or something show up on their wishlist to show that we have that book registered. I don't know if I am asking the impossible here! I wouldn't like it to eliminate all other wishlist books that we don't own though as I sometimes keep an eye out in charity bookshops if I know that a particular book is on someone's wishlist.
Profile Image
I know this has been discussed before, but can't put my finger on the older threads. Since I do check wishlists now and then, this is a feature that would come in handy, but it's definitely an optional/bonus feature - that is, a perfect candidate for a members-plus option. [It wouldn't be perfect, mind; between different editions, ISBNs, title-spellings, etc., it's quite possible for a matching algorithm to miss some matches that would show up on a manual comparison of wishlists and bookshelves, or on a title-keyword/author-last-name search. But it could still be helpful.]

Whether it's worth the programming effort - that I don't know. I suspect that most of the BCers who'd use it are already supporting the site as much as they can...

Possible workaround: list your own books-in-hand sorted by title or author and use the "print bookshelf" feature to display these results in their own text-based window. Then bring up the other person's wishlist sorted in the same order. This makes it a bit easier to do a side-by-side comparison, rather than searching for specific titles/authors.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.