corner corner No longer active.....

Forum | << Feature Requests | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

No longer active.....

There has been several occasions when, after finishing reading a book, I click on the "who's wishing for this book" link associated to that book only to come up with a list of bookcrossers (whether it's one or two or a couple of dozen) where most or all of them have not been active in bookcrossing for several years.
I wonder if it's possible to "deactivate" a bookcrosser who has not updated their profile or used the bookcrossing site for, say, 12 months? Obviously the profile would need to be able to be reactivated the next time the bookcrosser comes back to the site......

Just wondering......

Complete Thread

Profile Image
There has been several occasions when, after finishing reading a book, I click on the "who's wishing for this book" link associated to that book only to come up with a list of bookcrossers (whether it's one or two or a couple of dozen) where most or all of them have not been active in bookcrossing for several years.
I wonder if it's possible to "deactivate" a bookcrosser who has not updated their profile or used the bookcrossing site for, say, 12 months? Obviously the profile would need to be able to be reactivated the next time the bookcrosser comes back to the site......

Just wondering......
Profile Image
I wonder if it's possible to "deactivate" a bookcrosser who has not updated their profile or used the bookcrossing site for, say, 12 months?

This is a discussion that has been had many times over the years. BC has stated explicitly that so-called "inactive" accounts will not be removed. See, for example: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/7109310
Profile Image
Without going to the lengths of deactivating accounts, it might be possible to add a wishlist-search filter option for "wishes within the last X months/years" - though some of us long-time BCers may still have outstanding wishes from a decade ago, so such a filter could eliminate too many wishes!

An option to filter wishes - or member-searches - according to a specific activity-type, such as "only show me those who've posted in the forums/registered a book/etc. within the last year", could be helpful, though those things don't guarantee future activity and may rule out active-but-busy BCers who might be happy to be pinged for a RABCK. But this would require more work from the database, as it'd have to pull in the most-recent-post/registration/JE dates when doing the searching. I don't know how messy such a feature would be, and of course it wouldn't be helpful for the site's fundamental wild-release purpose, so if it ever were implemented I'd expect it to be a members-plus/wings feature.

Note that there is a "wished-for date" sort-option on the wishlist-search page, so one could use that to look for the most recent wishes - or for the oldest ones, as I do sometimes, if I think I can fill a long-desired wish!

Side note: I do sometimes spot wishes for accounts that are definitely inactive - the members have requested to leave the site, and their bookshelves remain only for the sake of their books' histories. (These often show with screen-names of the form "REM-xxxxx", or something similar, a visual clue that the person asked to have their account disabled; this makes it easier to skip them when scanning for wishes.) An option to hide or remove the wishlists of this kind of defunct account could be handy, to be used either by the individuals themselves before requesting to have their accounts disabled or by BC Support when doing the disabling. Again, I don't know how hard this would be.
Profile Image
it might be possible to add a wishlist-search filter option for "wishes within the last X months/years" - though some of us long-time BCers may still have outstanding wishes from a decade ago, so such a filter could eliminate too many wishes!

I'm one of those who has long -outstanding wishes, partly because some of the books are quite esoteric or out-of-print, and so are not likely to pop up every day!
Profile Image

There are people who choose to take a break from BookCrossing for their own reasons, and come back some unspecified time later. But, even when they're not active, their account is active because of the the books they released that are busy travelling the world. Finders often like to see who has read a book and who released it.

Bottom line is that it is really difficult to determine what "inactive" really is since there are so many ways to interact with the site. Even families of deceased members often choose to keep the shelf active, because their loved one's books are out there. (Though they are encouraged by support to make a note on the profile indicating their family member has passed on.)

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.