corner corner "Defunct" needed

Forum | << Feature Requests | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

"Defunct" needed

I would like a BookCrossing category of DEFUNCT for books which have been witnessed to have be destroyed. No other category is correct. I would limit this category to those books which have actually been seen destroyed completely or those which have been personally added to a recycle bin.

This, obviously, is not a category for lost books.

The advantage to having this category is that one would know when a BCID is no longer active.

Thank you!

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I would like a BookCrossing category of DEFUNCT for books which have been witnessed to have be destroyed. No other category is correct. I would limit this category to those books which have actually been seen destroyed completely or those which have been personally added to a recycle bin.

This, obviously, is not a category for lost books.

The advantage to having this category is that one would know when a BCID is no longer active.

Thank you!

Profile Image
I'd be afraid that if we had such a category it would be misused, for books presumed lost but not actually known to have been destroyed. (Of course, if the books still existed, the next JE would undo any "defunct" category, so that might not be a serious drawback.)

Basically, I don't see that much of a need for such a status. If I know a book with a travel-history has been destroyed, I'll make a journal entry describing the situation and will set the status to "traveling" so the book no longer shows as "in hand". (If it's a book of my own that has not had any other travel history, I can try and replace the book and re-use the BCID.)

I'm not sure what advantage there would be in knowing that a BCID is no longer active; if the book has a travel-history the BCID is still useful in displaying its information. Is there some particular bookshelf-view or book-search that you'd find enhanced by such a feature? My method - using "traveling" status to indicate books that have gone to that great library in the sky - will filter out books from any "available"-status or "books in hand" search...
Profile Image
I'd be afraid that if we had such a category it would be misused, for books presumed lost but not actually known to have been destroyed. (Of course, if the books still existed, the next JE would undo any "defunct" category, so that might not be a serious drawback.)

Any category could be misused so that doesn't seem like a strong enough argument against my suggestion. Furthermore, as you mentioned, another JE would undo the mistaken entry.

If I know a book with a travel-history has been destroyed, I'll make a journal entry describing the situation and will set the status to "traveling" so the book no longer shows as "in hand".

Traveling and defunct are *completely* different. A traveling book is one that might show up again in the future. A defunct book is gone forever. A defunct status is a much more accurate description of a particular book's journey.

If it's a book of my own that has not had any other travel history, I can try and replace the book and re-use the BCID.

True. However, that's not necessary. It would be much more useful to know about an individual book's demise. It would also be much more accurate to say that one book was destroyed, and another book (with a different BCID) was released to take that book's place (sort of in memory of the defunct book!).

In fact, it would be fun to refer back to the defunct book's travel history without making both books the same BCID...which is contrary to the rules of BookCrossing anyway (in the strictest sense).

I'm not sure what advantage there would be in knowing that a BCID is no longer active

It is a more accurate picture of our traveling books. In the same way, that when a person dies, we know that person will no longer show up. In fact, I want Dunzy and MaryZee back now! RIP, my two dear friends. :(

Is there some particular bookshelf-view or book-search that you'd find enhanced by such a feature?

I think so. I handle lots of books because I'm both an avid Bookcrosser and a Little Free Library steward. I do occasionally have to "pulp" books that have a BCID. I'd like to be able to pull up only defunct books to see exactly what happened to each book to make it drop out of circulation. I'm not going to go through all of my 7,400 traveling books to do this, though. Seriously!

In addition, it could show me which books I should try to replace (if I can find them) with other copies that are in good shape to travel.

I can think of another use for this feature. Sometime we witness others destroying a book. If we know the details of such incidents by reading the histories of our defunct books, it would help book releasers know the "danger areas" of book releasing and could possibly help reduce future book destruction by others. It could also teach other BookCrossers how to better preserve traveling books (e.g. a journal note saying that a book might have been preserved had the previous owner secured the pages to the cover better, etc.). I think we'd get some really good information from a defunct category.

Sometimes it's good to not just maintain the status quo, but to try other new things. Should this feature not prove useful, all of the defunct books could revert back to their traveling status...although that would make me sad. :)

By the way, I've set my defunct books to "reserved" *precisely* because I don't want them listed as "traveling" on my account.

What do others think of my idea?
Profile Image
In fact, it would be fun to refer back to the defunct book's travel history without making both books the same BCID...which is contrary to the rules of BookCrossing anyway (in the strictest sense).

I did suggest that, for books that *had* a travel history, the old BCID should NOT be re-used but preserved (with the "traveling" status). It's only for books that I'd registered myself and that had not done any traveling that I'd re-use the BCID if the book had to be replaced. (I did lose a book or two to some cat-spraying incidents in my library; I really did not want to preserve the "book got peed on" anecdote" {wry grin}.) And the one-book/one-BCID rule is meant to preserve travel history and avoid future confusion, so if a book with no history is destroyed, another book can get the BCID without breaking any rules.

I appreciate your explanation of why you want such a feature, but it still doesn't sound like something I'd use. However, if there's enough interest by others, it isn't something I'd oppose - I don't imagine it would hurt, even if I have no plans to use it.

But: if/when the site ever implements tags (oh please-please-please!!!), they could be used to flag books as "defunct" - in addition to expanding the current way-too-limited "category" field. I don't know that this is any more likely to appear than a new status, but I think it'd address your concerns while being more flexible. Thoughts?
Profile Image
if/when the site ever implements tags (oh please-please-please!!!), they could be used to flag books as "defunct" - in addition to expanding the current way-too-limited "category" field. I don't know that this is any more likely to appear than a new status

I can assure you that it's way more likely. I just can't tell you when it will happen. But it's planned to be implemented.
Profile Image
I don't know that this is any more likely to appear than a new status, but I think it'd address your concerns while being more flexible. Thoughts?

Not really. I could use a tag, but all of the other statuses would remain incorrect for a defunct book.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.