corner corner Releasenote language-library

Forum | << Feature Requests | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Releasenote language-library

I was wondering if it is possible to create a place for a standard releasenote translated into many different languages (not just via google-translate...not correct but crooked translation). I've collected with the help of many BookCrossers, many languages already and an willing to share so everyone could easily use them, and possibly add other languages.

I now have Dutch, English, German, French, Greek, Swedish, Italian, Finnish, Russian (female-version.. is there a non-gender-oriented way to translate?), Spanish, Japanese, Portuguese, Norwegian, Danish, and recently received Ukrainian.

The standard (formal) one I use and have translations of is:

<Hello dear finder of this book,

I hope you'll like the idea and practice of Book Crossing. I also hope you’ll make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free and spam-free!) If you do choose to join, you can choose to use me, (your name), as your referring member so I'll know that I've made someone enthusiastic about BookCrossing.

Feel free to take the time and read this book, or to pass it on to a friend or even set it out "in the wild" for someone else to find. If you do choose to join and journal, then you can watch the book as it travels. You'll be alerted by an email each time someone makes another journal entry.

Happy reading!>

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I was wondering if it is possible to create a place for a standard releasenote translated into many different languages (not just via google-translate...not correct but crooked translation). I've collected with the help of many BookCrossers, many languages already and an willing to share so everyone could easily use them, and possibly add other languages.

I now have Dutch, English, German, French, Greek, Swedish, Italian, Finnish, Russian (female-version.. is there a non-gender-oriented way to translate?), Spanish, Japanese, Portuguese, Norwegian, Danish, and recently received Ukrainian.

The standard (formal) one I use and have translations of is:

<Hello dear finder of this book,

I hope you'll like the idea and practice of Book Crossing. I also hope you’ll make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free and spam-free!) If you do choose to join, you can choose to use me, (your name), as your referring member so I'll know that I've made someone enthusiastic about BookCrossing.

Feel free to take the time and read this book, or to pass it on to a friend or even set it out "in the wild" for someone else to find. If you do choose to join and journal, then you can watch the book as it travels. You'll be alerted by an email each time someone makes another journal entry.

Happy reading!>
Profile Image
An easy and quick solution would be a special thread in the Release Techniques forum.
Profile Image
An easy and quick solution would be a special thread in the Release Techniques forum.

That is a possibility. But you would need to keep 'upping' the post I guess for people to realise there is such a post.
Profile Image
you would need to keep 'upping' the post I guess for people to realise there is such a post.

That is true. People who know about the post could have it in their bookmarks, and point others to it as often as needed; also, like you said, it could be bumped every now and then. The release techniques forum is not very busy, so it would not fall off the first page quickly.
It's obviously not a perfect solution, but it's one that's in your own hands. It could be a temporary fix.
Profile Image
Bookmarks? I did not know you can have bookmarks on the site, or do you mean regular bookmarks?

I guess I can make a thread. Would you think it is best to put al available translations in the first entry and keep that one up to date so anyone can add a reply with suggestions?
Profile Image
I did not know you can have bookmarks on the site, or do you mean regular bookmarks?
I meant in your browser. Some browsers call them 'favourites'. Some other browsers call them 'favorites' but that's just wrong. ;-)

Would you think it is best to put all available translations in the first entry and keep that one up to date so anyone can add a reply with suggestions?
I think you would run into the character limit sooner or later. Plus, there may be several suggestions for some languages. So personally I would just let people post what they wish. But it's up to you!

Profile Image
I did not know you can have bookmarks on the site, or do you mean regular bookmarks?
I meant in your browser. Some browsers call them 'favourites'. Some other browsers call them 'favorites' but that's just wrong. ;-)

Would you think it is best to put all available translations in the first entry and keep that one up to date so anyone can add a reply with suggestions?
I think you would run into the character limit sooner or later. Plus, there may be several suggestions for some languages. So personally I would just let people post what they wish. But it's up to you!

Grin.. Ah..those bookmarks.

Didn't think about the character limit. But if a lot of replies come people will have to scroll their fingers of to get to the translation they might want. I guess I can start up the thread and see how it goes. I can always put all the translations in one post on my weblog and share the link to that in the first entry of the thread.
Profile Image
I guess I can start up the thread and see how it goes. I can always put all the translations in one post on my weblog and share the link to that in the first entry of the thread.

Both of these sound like excellent ideas!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.