corner corner Browse active members.

Forum | << Feature Requests | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Browse active members.

Sorry, I think it's not the first time somebody asks this but as you know there are so many inactive members. It w'd be very handy to have the lists managed with the more active members at the top.
If I remember correctly it was so a lot of years back.
Thank you anyway for the fantastic job.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Sorry, I think it's not the first time somebody asks this but as you know there are so many inactive members. It w'd be very handy to have the lists managed with the more active members at the top.
If I remember correctly it was so a lot of years back.
Thank you anyway for the fantastic job.
Profile Image
When you do a member search, you can sort by "date joined" or "books registered".

It w'd be very handy to have the lists managed with the more active members at the top.

The difficulty, of course, is how one defines "active". Does it mean someone has posted in the forums? Or browsed the forums? Does it mean that someone has registered books? Or released books? Bought from the Supply Store?

There are so many different ways that a person can be "active" on BC that I'm not sure how helpful it would be. Some people have, in the past, suggested that "active" means "signed in", but a lot of us never sign out!

Profile Image
When you do a member search, you can sort by "date joined" or "books registered".

Thank you mojosmom, that's better but I can't find how to do that in the lists by country or town.
Profile Image
I can't find how to do that in the lists by country or town.

You can't do it if you go through the member list. But you can do it if you go through the member _search_ instead, and then search by country and city, and sort by books registered.
Profile Image
I can't find how to do that in the lists by country or town.

You can't do it if you go through the member list. But you can do it if you go through the member _search_ instead, and then search by country and city, and sort by books registered.

Thank you Moem, I didn't think of that.
Profile Image
Well, it's not very logical!
Profile Image
There's another website I use that lets you sort by date last logged in, and I find that enormously helpful.
Profile Image
There's another website I use that lets you sort by date last logged in, and I find that enormously helpful.

I never log out. If the site didn't log me out every once in a while (maybe when they are updating something?) and if my computer hadn't died 18 months ago, it would look like the last time I logged in was October, 2002.

I'm on the site multiple times every single day, but you'd never know it by date of last login.
Profile Image
I'm on the site multiple times every single day, but you'd never know it by date of last login.

Exactly!
Profile Image
I think it would probably not say when you last typed in your username and password, but instead the last time you accessed the site. So it might look like: "Cassolotl last seen 7 hours ago" or something like that.
Profile Image
I think it would probably not say when you last typed in your username and password, but instead the last time you accessed the site. So it might look like: "Cassolotl last seen 7 hours ago" or something like that.

I for one would not want to be Big Brothered in that fashion. The frequency with which I access the site is no-one's business but my own! There's more than enough information available through the Profile page to judge activity, whatever that may mean .... If you're interested, you can already see the last book I registered, the last book I journalled ....
Profile Image
Perhaps this could be opt-in, then - it would only appear on your profile if you specifically went looking for it. Or it could be vague - "Cassolotl has been on Bookcrossing within the last week/month/three months/6 months/year/has not been seen for over a year." Does that feel less stalky?
Profile Image
Perhaps this could be opt-in, then - it would only appear on your profile if you specifically went looking for it. Or it could be vague - "Cassolotl has been on Bookcrossing within the last week/month/three months/6 months/year/has not been seen for over a year." Does that feel less stalky?

I guess I don't see why this is necessary. I know that within the last month you made one controlled release and 21 forum posts. That information is right there on your profile. How would it add anything to see "Cassolotl has been on Bookcrossing within the last month"? Indeed, that is *less* information than I can see now!
Profile Image
Yes, that is more valuable information, but it's only available by manually clicking through to the profile. I think this information should be available anywhere there's a list. So you can sort wishlist books or lists of members by time last seen, and then you have some basic information to sort with and visible at a glance to use for comparison. You have more of a chance of, for example, finding a suitable active member to send a book to within 5 profile-checks. See?
Profile Image
You have more of a chance of, for example, finding a suitable active member to send a book to within 5 profile-checks. See?

Yes, I see - but the site's main purpose isn't enabling books-by-mail; that's just a fun but voluntary sideline. Other sites that are entirely dedicated to book-swapping have built-in features for filtering wishes and rating transactions, and I know that many BCers participate in those sites for at least some of their book-swaps-by-mail.

I do wish there were options to flag wishlists as "searchable" or not, though. This could be used by individuals who keep the lists for their own purposes and don't really want to be contacted by others for trades or even for RABCKs - and it could also be used by BC Support to hide the wishlists of disabled accounts or of members known to be deceased. (I find it bittersweet to be reminded of departed BC friends when one of their wishes turns up on a wishlist-search; the memories are lovely, but the reminder that they're gone is painful.) But since I wild-release most of my books, I don't find the existing wishlist-search setup that arduous.

If there *were* a wishlist-search filter along the lines of "has posted in the forums or journaled a book within the last year", I might make use of it, but it's not high on my list of longed-for features/bug-fixes.

Side note: Once in a while I've offered wishlist books to whoever made the *oldest* wish, just to see if they're still interested even if they haven't been active in a while - and sometimes I get a grateful reply, so limiting wishlist offers to "active" members might deprive you of a chance to entice a lapsed BCer back into activity!
Profile Image
Re: offering books to the wisher of the oldest wish, that is lovely! :) (Edit: the proposed sort-by-most-recently-here thing would not prevent this loveliness, it occurs to me.)

I find it odd that just because of the wishlist feature Bookcrossing is a sending-books-to-other-people website - and yet there is such resistance to the idea of being able to sort by most recently seen on the site. So anyone who wants to use the wishlist has to work really hard to find a recipient. I'm not sure why the wishlist feature is public, if I think about it the way you put it, GoryDetails. I mean, it can't hurt that the wishlists are public (and as you say, being able to make them private makes a lot of sense!), but being able to easily find active members seems to be the intuitive next step.
Profile Image
I find it odd that just because of the wishlist feature Bookcrossing is a sending-books-to-other-people website - and yet there is such resistance to the idea of being able to sort by most recently seen on the site. So anyone who wants to use the wishlist has to work really hard to find a recipient.

Re having to work really hard to find a recipient: sending RABCKs to strangers is only one of many possible uses of wishlists. If I'm attending a meetup or am mailing out a bookbox, I may check the wishlists of the people at the meeting or the next recipient of the box, to see if I have any books they're looking for. And even when I do check wishlists to see if anyone's looking for a particular book, it's mainly for books that are fairly obscure, so I seldom see many wishes; if there are pages and pages of wishes for one of my books I'm likely to conclude that it's very popular and thus easy to come by, and therefore I'll just wild-release it instead {wry grin}.

Also: I don't know that there's "such resistance" to the idea; of the responders to this thread several are in the "yeah, it would be nice, but I don't need it that badly" category, which is more of a shrug than resistance. What *is* a factor is that the site runs on a very thin budget, with tech-support being mostly-volunteer; the majority of the effort goes to keeping the site running, with bug-fixes coming in now and then and, more rarely, a new feature.

It's worthwhile discussing requested features, I think, because (a) there are often workarounds or even existing features that do what the requester wants, and (b) sometimes, if a feature is in demand and would not be that difficult to implement, it might get on the to-do list.

It does help to include specific details when requesting features, though; one person's "find active members" might not have much in common with someone else's. What kinds of activity would you want to see included in a "recently active" sort option? Any site updates, from new wishes to forum posts to book-registrations or JEs? Pulling all those together into a single field for sorting is a more significant change to the site than choosing a single factor. (If the "activity" were based on a single factor I'd tend to vote for "new JE", which would include book-registrations as well as books caught from other BCers; it would, however, rule out people who are active in the forums but who don't register or catch books very often.)

An alternate version of an "activity" feature would be a filter: "show me the wishes of people who've made new JEs within the last year", or some such thing. Making it a filter instead of a sort option leaves the other sort-options available, but does require putting a limit on the activity-range.

Those are just proposals, btw, in a kicking-ideas-around vein. I have no strong need for a filter-by-activity feature, though if there was one I might use it now and then.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.