corner corner Feature request : Date of Last BC Log-in

Forum | << Feature Requests | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Feature request : Date of Last BC Log-in

Hi all.

I would like to request for a new feature.

In the member's profile page, you would be able to see the followings :

These information are good to know.

But is it possible to include the last date the member logged in to BC ?

I think it is highly beneficial to know.

The main benefit that this information would have is to gauge whether the member is still active or not.

I have had many incidences whereby the member request for books in the wishlist, that I happened to have. But my e-mails went unanswered. And it occurred to me that the person is no longer an active BC member, hence the hesitance in replying.

And in that effect, I wasn't able to release my book, pending their reply on the matter.

Hence, I think it is good to have to last BC log-in date :D

Kindly look into the matter, and see if this can be implemented.

Many thanks!

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Hi all.

I would like to request for a new feature.

In the member's profile page, you would be able to see the followings :

These information are good to know.

But is it possible to include the last date the member logged in to BC ?

I think it is highly beneficial to know.

The main benefit that this information would have is to gauge whether the member is still active or not.

I have had many incidences whereby the member request for books in the wishlist, that I happened to have. But my e-mails went unanswered. And it occurred to me that the person is no longer an active BC member, hence the hesitance in replying.

And in that effect, I wasn't able to release my book, pending their reply on the matter.

Hence, I think it is good to have to last BC log-in date :D

Kindly look into the matter, and see if this can be implemented.

Many thanks!
Profile Image
This has been asked and rejected in the past. Among other things, while a recent login date might indicate that the person's active, it doesn't indicate whether they are interested in trading books or receiving free wishlist books. And many BCers stay logged in all the time, so they might be wildly active but show a "last login date" from months or years ago!

You can use the forum-post link on a person's profile page to quickly see how recently they've posted in the forums - this doesn't guarantee activity either but it's easy to do, and if someone is active in the forums (especially the RABCK and/or Bookring forums) they're likely to be interested in receiving books.

And you can view a person's bookshelf to see how recently they've registered any books, another indicator as to whether they're still active. [If you have wings you can search the person's shelf by "most recently journaled" too, and if you select the "in hand" option you can see how recently the bookshelf-holder journaled a book.]

None of these things will confirm that someone will reply to an offer of a book - and it's always possible that someone who *isn't* active will be even more appreciative of the offer of a wishlist book than someone who's on the site all the time.

If you're offering wishlist books, whether or not you're asking for a trade or postage in return, I suggest you include a time limit in your message, as in: "I have a copy of [mumble] from your wishlist, and would be glad to send it to you; if you send me your address within the next day/week/whatever, I'll get it in the mail!" That way, if you don't get a response within that time, you can offer the book elsewhere or wild-release it without a pang.
Profile Image
many BCers stay logged in all the time, so they might be wildly active but show a "last login date" from months or years ago!

Yes, so if anything like this were implemented, it would have to be 'last seen on the site' as opposed to 'last logged in'. In itself, that's not impossible.

For me to welcome such a feature, it would have to be fuzzy. I would not mind something that said 'Moem last visited this site less than a week ago / within the past month / within the past year / more than a year ago'.
Profile Image
For me to welcome such a feature, it would have to be fuzzy. I would not mind something that said 'Moem last visited this site less than a week ago / within the past month / within the past year / more than a year ago'.

My thoughts exactly. I would definitely opt out of a specific date/time format. But something vague would be okay. Not that it would mean all that much, as Gory explained. ;) I usually go by the forum and journalling statistics when trying to determine if someone is at all active.
Profile Image
Say, why don't we do it like this :

We implement the function, but we allow the user to set whether to have it publicly known, or private.

My wish is to know whether the person is active.
But it doesn't have to be to the dot [i.e 5 minutes ago].

Something like "User was last seen active in the last month".

That would certainly help, as we do not have to go on investigative mode, to determine via forum posting / books released to gauge whether the user is still active or not.

And I do not foresee backlash from implementing this, because as far as privacy goes, one has the option whether to enable it or not. That, and we nothing more than just User ID here. This is not LinkedIn, where people could view your biodata and background.
Profile Image
It has been asked for MANY times before and has never been implemented.

If it ever is, I hope it will be an opt-in and not an opt-out option.

In my case it would be pointless anyway as I never sign out. The site has signed me out once in a while, but that doesn't show how active I am, just how contrary the site is.
Profile Image
I was not aware that this option has been requested many times.

perhaps BC needs to make a point, and state clearly to its users
as to why this option could not be implemented.

Else users would keep on requesting this option,
and would feel frustrated as they were not informed of the resolution of the matter.

Even if you did not sign out, the cookie stored in your computer should be able to determine the last date you accessed BC, regardless of whether you sign out or not.

And yes, here's hoping that the option to opt-in or opt-out is made available too.

As a matter of thought; wouldn't the last date accessed more useful than the 'date registered', which is not really of use?
Profile Image
As a matter of thought; wouldn't the last date accessed more useful than the 'date registered', which is not really of use?

Neither is useful to me, as I don't check on how active others are. I don't know what would be useful to you. But date registered or date released would show that someone is actually using BookCrossing. Whereas last date accessed doesn't show much; someone could be lurking and not active at all.

And I for one do not want an option to opt-in OR to opt-out, I want an option to opt-in if this is ever implemented. I want opt-out to be the standard setting, unless you make the effort to opt-in. There is a difference.
Profile Image

Else users would keep on requesting this option,
and would feel frustrated as they were not informed of the resolution of the matter.

It wouldn't have made a difference if BookCrossing had explained in a former thread why this option could not be implemented, and it wouldn't have kept you from requesting it, as you clearly didn't search and discover that it had been requested numerous times before, nor what the resolution was.
Profile Image

I think that BookCrossing uses this feature request forum to help take the temperature of what members are feeling. As the majority have been not keen to have this feature implemented , for many of the reasons given here, it's never moved beyond the discussion phase. There are so many ideas launched here, some that go into production, others that don't, but no list of either group. The site seems to prefer to devote webspace to books and reading rather than to what 's been suggested previously. Luckily, we have a membership skilled in both searching the forum for answers, or who have a long memory and can recall what's occurred in the past.

I do think that it doesn't hurt to re-suggest a feature, as the membership does change, and opinions might. I think that were any such feature to be implemented, it would have to be opt in rather than opt out, as so many seem not to want the time stamp.
Profile Image
My fellow Bookcrossers: ask not what Bookcrossing can do for you, ask what you can do for Bookcrossing.
All too often do I clash with dead souls here. So if you intend to leave, you should tell it in your profile, and empty your wish list. Thank you. :)
Well I know it doesn't happen. Thus we must manage on the good advice that GoryDetails gave. I can.
Profile Image

+1

I would be 100% for this, especially on the wishlists. One of the reasons I got frustrated and left the site a few years ago was because the wishlists feature was useless - it was impossible to see at-a-glance how active the wisher was, and the date the book was added to the wishlist wasn't an indicator of how active the bookcrosser is, so it was really really frustrating. Finding a happy recipient for my book using the wishlists was such hard work!

So the way I'd want it is like this:

>Last seen on Bookcrossing: [less than a day ago/less than a week ago/less than a month ago/over a month ago/over a year ago]
Profile Image
I have seen many with a "profile last updated on..." info listed on their profile.
I have something similar on my own
Also, recent activity is given to you in the stats on the users profiles.
4 weeks of it in fact.

Good idea, but I don't think it's entirely necessary

Profile Image
Good idea, but I don't think it's entirely necessary

I tend to agree. The profile , as it is, gives us enough information about another member's activities.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.